Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When I Haven't Been Shooting Much

And maybe when I've been shooting a lot, I've noticed it's helpful to sacrifice a little draw speed in favor of building a good shooting grip before breaking the first shot.  It helps with my consistency.

That's the part I feel I need to get faster at - building the good shooting grip as my sight picture comes together.

That is all.

I think he is talking about the support hand.

I feel the same. For one shot it issn´t that important, but for a stage/classifier/drill, you need a good grip much more than a .2 seconds faster draw.  

Building a solid, consistent shooting grip on the draw is very important. Dry fire is the key. The dry fire books by Steve Anderson (“Refinement and Repetition” and “Get To Work”) and by Ben Stoeger are very helpful in beginning, maintaining, and enjoying a dry fire program. You should quickly see improvement in consistent grip and draw speed.

16 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I was taught, by Max Michel, to secure a good shooting grip before Drawing The Gun.     :) 

Max is awesome, we all know, but we are not yet in our shooting grip until the support hand is in play.  That's the part I'm talking about.

3 hours ago, CoyoteMW said:

Building a solid, consistent shooting grip on the draw is very important. Dry fire is the key. The dry fire books by Steve Anderson (“Refinement and Repetition” and “Get To Work”) and by Ben Stoeger are very helpful in beginning, maintaining, and enjoying a dry fire program. You should quickly see improvement in consistent grip and draw speed.

Dude, really?

5 hours ago, bimmer1980 said:

I think he is talking about the support hand.

I feel the same. For one shot it issn´t that important, but for a stage/classifier/drill, you need a good grip much more than a .2 seconds faster draw.  

You get me bro.☺️

20 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

it's helpful to sacrifice a little draw speed in favor of building a good shooting grip before breaking the first shot

I've heard Bob Vogel say this too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 5:55 PM, GunBugBit said:

He is a guy who is big on building a great shooting grip.  His really is great.

I was fortunate to take a class with Mr. Vogel and it was worth every penny. I immediately noticed how big of a difference grip makes once I started the grip strength training program he recommended. And yes, he is a phenomenal shooter and his grip is insane. He makes shooting a .40 look like a paintball gun.

The class focus was more on self-defense versus competition, so the focus there was of course getting the gun out as fast as possible versus taking .2 seconds more to get a perfect grip. Competition speaking, he did make the point that getting a secure grip is the most important part of the draw, and that stronger grip strength means you have more room for error there.