Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS full length dust cover and weight

I’m poking around at a single stack 40 build with a full length (extended) dust cover. Would a build make USPSA weight of 43 oz with a mag? The only compatible build I can find would be the STI Rangemaster but if I recall it has a bull barrel and weighs 41 oz without a magazine. 

Not trying to hijack your topic, but did you consider any factory .40 SS pistols? Or do those not exist? I was entertaining a SS .40, but that’s as far as I got with it.  

Thanks!

I don't think a full length dust cover is legal.

In Appendix D5 section 23 

Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover.

I think this generally means the dust cover is not allowed to be over 3.25 inches, regardless of whether it's cut for a rail.  That's the only place I find a dust cover referenced though.

Many custom guns are built on a JEM extended frames (https://www.jemguns.com/extended) which are then cut down to the 3.25" requirement.

ETA: One of my minor SS guns is an STI HexTac which has light rail but is also tri-topped. I needed an aluminum mainspring housing to make weight, but with that it wasn't hard to get to 42.3oz or so. 

Edited by belus
including reference point.

The way I read that rule is you can’t have factory installed attachments if the rail is over that specified length. 

Is a longer dust cover an attachment? 

Edited by 021411

5 hours ago, 021411 said:

The way I read that rule is you can’t have factory installed attachments if the rail is over that specified length. 

Is a longer dust cover an attachment? 

I suspect, confidently enough that I would not put money towards it, that a full length dust cover would be considered prohibited under Appendix D5 #22 Prohibited modifications and features "External modifications such as weights or..."

One of the best resources regarding SS rules is the guy who wrote them: @Gary Stevens. Searching his post history I found your question had been asked before.

If you want to game SS you could get a 5.4" gun built.
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/193456-54-1911-in-single-stack/?do=findComment&comment=2161148

If you do a long dust cover frame like JEM and cut it down to the required legal length to be able to use it in SSTK you will have to do some things to the gun to get it to make weight. My boss who also is a gunsmith just built one for a local shooter. Even with a Aluminum Dawson Precision magwell/mainspring he had to cut weight out of the slide and frame to get it under 43oz with a empty mag.

• 2 weeks later...

Gary and Troy said mine was legal.  Wasn't quite full length.  I chopped the end to match the slide cut.  It is right at 43 oz.  If you don't cut it unless your slide is lightened it will probably be over weight.

PhotoEditor_20190602_103027037-480x726.jpg

Edited by andrewtac

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, DubfromGA said:

So....my ignorance to the subject is evident....a Les Baer Monolith or Monolith Heavyweight would both be illegal gaming guns ?

For single stack division yes. For Limited 10, no.