Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metal magwell vs plastic insert

Bravo_Victor

None of my magwells get chewed up.  I have an Al well on my CZ TS.  Very few dents.  Same with the Al well on one 2011.  I have a Dawson ICE on another 2011 and a Cheely with plastic insert on another.  I notice no difference in smoothness or timing with any of them.

Aluminum and soft stuff don't work that well for me.  I've gone to basic stainless, which dings up, but continues to work well.  The hardened Limcat insert holds up great and does real correction on twisted mags.  

20190513_235701.jpg

I destroy magwells. I love the limcat v2 steel insert magwell. It’s the only one I haven’t destroyed yet. 

Basically the same same story as Waco Kid

Edited by tha1000

9 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

I currently use a Dawson with the plastic insert.  I see a lot of photos here with metal magwells getting chewed up through repeated reloads.  Does this damage the magazines themselves?

I have a couple of mags that I use exclusively for dry fire.  they both have cracked feed lips.  I dont know if dropping the mags or slamming them into a metal magwell at 1000mph is the culprit, but yes... mags do break.  I have borked a number of the dawson plastic inserts as well... both on limited guns and my single stack (where I still use an ice with the insert).

12 hours ago, Bigbrowngmc said:

I’m running Dawson ice with the plastic insert currently, but I think I’ll try the the Phoenix Trinity honcho magwell when it comes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's interesting.  The new akai magwell looks very similar to the PT magwell as well.  It seems like all the convex bottom magwells are going to require low profile base pads... this would be a considerable additional expense if you were already loaded up on dawson or grams basepads.

It's interesting.  The new akai magwell looks very similar to the PT magwell as well.  It seems like all the convex bottom magwells are going to require low profile base pads... this would be a considerable additional expense if you were already loaded up on dawson or grams basepads.

Not an issue in Open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

I currently use a Dawson with the plastic insert.  I see a lot of photos here with metal magwells getting chewed up through repeated reloads.  Does this damage the magazines themselves?

Yes, it does.

On 5/24/2019 at 9:54 PM, theWacoKid said:

Yes, it does.

Dang.  Is this why people talk about having dry fire mags?  I just assumed that they were worried about constantly dropping them, or something.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:38 AM, UpYoursPal said:

Dang.  Is this why people talk about having dry fire mags?  I just assumed that they were worried about constantly dropping them, or something.

Yup! When STI had their buy 2 get 1 free I snagged a bunch exactly for this purpose.