Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manually lowering hammer on a decocker equipped DA/SA gun

nasty618

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

10.5.9 Failure to keep the finger outside the trigger guard during loading, reloading, or unloading. Exception: while complying with the “Make Ready” command to lower the hammer of a gun without a decocking lever, or while initially loading a revolver with a spurless hammer.

What the above rule is saying is that if your gun has a decocking lever, you don't get the benefit of this exception, so if you manually decock (by putting your finger inside the trigger guard and pulling the trigger during loading), it is pretty clearly a DQ.

It's kind of a poorly written rule innit? Finger on the trigger to lower the hammer doesn't usually happen during loading, reloading, or unloading. Loading is accomplished when the magazine is seated. So if you're no longer loading isn't the premise invalid, and as such the exception is meaningless?

For example, the competitor inserts a magazine at make ready, racks the gun, then holds it in his hands as he remembers his plan. He then ignores his decocker and lowers the hammer. He isn't loading/unloading/reloading or moving, so the "finger" DQs don't apply.

7 hours ago, NickBlasta said:

It's kind of a poorly written rule innit? Finger on the trigger to lower the hammer doesn't usually happen during loading, reloading, or unloading. Loading is accomplished when the magazine is seated. So if you're no longer loading isn't the premise invalid, and as such the exception is meaningless?

For example, the competitor inserts a magazine at make ready, racks the gun, then holds it in his hands as he remembers his plan. He then ignores his decocker and lowers the hammer. He isn't loading/unloading/reloading or moving, so the "finger" DQs don't apply.

I also don’t think 10.5.9 applies.

15 hours ago, broadside72 said:

That's not a bump to open, that's a DQ per 10.5.11.1

I think you misunderstood what i was saying. 

I was asking: "at what point do you bump to open for manually dropping the hammer to a half cocked position on a decocker equipped gun?"  The rule does not specify when. So I suggested that it (decision to bump shooter to Open) may be done in the same manner as when deciding on the DQ for 10.5.11 - which is upon gun being holstered (no functional access to the trigger)

3 minutes ago, nasty618 said:

I think you misunderstood what i was saying. 

I was asking: "at what point do you bump to open for manually dropping the hammer to a half cocked position on a decocker equipped gun?"  The rule does not specify when. So I suggested that it (decision to bump shooter to Open) may be done in the same manner as when deciding on the DQ for 10.5.11 - which is upon gun being holstered (no functional access to the trigger)

I see, thanks for the clarification. It's a very gray area since "during COF" rules apply but you can't even touch your gun until the COF starts. 

6 hours ago, broadside72 said:

I see, thanks for the clarification. It's a very gray area since "during COF" rules apply but you can't even touch your gun until the COF starts. 

So if I stand around with my arm or hand resting on my gun prior to the beginning of the COF what happens?

So if I stand around with my arm or hand resting on my gun prior to the beginning of the COF what happens?
I'm sure you realized I was talking about manipulating your gun, removing from holster, loading, etc.