Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TS 9mm mag jam - help please

adamge

I've been having this quite often on a number of my TS 9mm mags (dimple pinned to 10 rounds for Canada). Usually with 7-10 rounds in the mag, I'll be shooting and suddenly have a jam, and when I look at the mag I see the top few rounds totally loose, and this two round cross-over action happening. Usually the only way to empty the mag is to remove the floor plate and shove a pokey in there with force.

Any tips?  I just cleaned these mags very well a few days ago. They were used in an IPSC match, disassembled and quickly mag brushed, then a 3gun match.  By the third round of the 3gun match this was happening again. It is definitely more than one of my mags, as previously I marked the mag that did this and took it out of rotation.

Is this a situation where I need to squish the middle sides of the mag in a vice?  Is this a situation for "tuning"?  What is this kind of jam called?

My rounds are 147gr plated flat nose at 1.097". Minor, shooting in a TS Orange.

ts mag jam-1024.jpg

Edited by adamge

I think it is the spring interacting with the dimpling made to reduce mag capacity. So your follower is being slowed down/moved as the coils lower in the mag body try to ride over the dimple. So then rounds get loose and then what you see in your pic happens.

In lieu of any concrete advice I spent a couple hours with my mags and a vice, squishing them on the sides at the forward ridge. Seems to have corrected one specific thing I can reproduce, that being with 7 or 8 rounds in the mag, the round near the mag catch hole is loose and slides forward and backward freely. After putting some major squish force into them, they don't rattle that round any more. Not sure if that is related to my specific problem, but I think it is. I'm guessing my problem is that the mag is too wide, allowing the rounds to bypass each other at the bullet where they are smaller diameter than at the rim.