Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pcc specialty matches.

Mike Dame

Not if they want to be called a USPSA match.  They don't change the rules for  an open match or a limited match or any other match.

After thinking about this for a minute, I might be changing my mind.  I have never seen an open only match or a limited only match.  If you are going to limit yourself to PCC only, I really don't care what rules you follow.  

Edited by BARRYJ

10 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Most PCC matches have additional options beyond the standard targets...  Targets at loner distances...  Spinners...  More targets in a stage...  That's part of the fun.

The two Lucas Oil PCC matches i went to, where fun with some interesting stages 

If they’re operating it as a USPSA match under the regular USPSA rulebook, Level 1 and 2 matches can already have courses longer than 32 rounds - the restriction to 32 rounds max is for Level 3 and above (rule 1.2.1.3). The upcoming JP PCC match (USPSA Level 2 match) has 2 stages with 40 rounds and a stage with 60 rounds. 

As for the 8 rounds required from any location or view, I don’t have a problem with the idea of adding an exception, but you’d probably need to make the exception for any all hi-cap match. There aren’t very many (pretty much just Nationals), but they do exist. How would you propose rewording the rule to accommodate this?

2 hours ago, DKorn said:

As for the 8 rounds required from any location or view, I don’t have a problem with the idea of adding an exception...

...How would you propose rewording the rule to accommodate this?

With even the slightest bit of competent stage design? It’s a non-issue.

The beginner USPSA stage designer puts four targets in a clump, then you run to the next spot, and repeat.

An experienced one who knows how to give you options, invite shooting on the move, and work within the letter of the rulebook thinks entirely differently.

Here are two approaches to putting 20+ rds up front in a stage (you’d continue downrange for the second half of the stage).

One is unimaginitive and illegal.

One invites you to approach it several different ways, and is also legal:

3B4C2EA7-2D2F-4059-8523-1B2BAD21AAE2.jpeg

To shoot the bottom course in Production you could engage the left poppers then the two close paper to the right while moving to the window. Reload and shoot 8rd there. Load again taking paper and poppers around the barrels... then flow downrange.

(Recall that per the rules, shooting around either side of a small wall or barrel consists of two views/positions.)

In a PCC match you’d just shoot it all with a combination of posting up and shooting on the move. Mission accomplished. 👍

Edited by MemphisMechanic

That said, in a PCC *only* match I’d hope to see some truly challenging targets. 50yd plates or minipoppers (give this RO a golf cart for stage setup!) and stages with a plethora of 20yd headshots. 

Actually push to challenge their accuracy the way matches like the Lucas Oil match have.

It’s legal to set up per USPSA rules too. The only reason you don’t see 53yd minipoppers at USPSA matches is because that’s annoying to us handgun shooters.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

17 minutes ago, MHicks said:

I would consider shooting stand alone pcc matches with added difficulty. Not interested in shooting standard USPSA matches with the carbine.

Simple … Design a match with the degree of difficulty you need for PCC.  Advertise it as a PCC (only) match.  The rules only state you must recognize at least ONE division.  Make it PCC.  Anyone who chooses to shoot it with a firearm from another division (e.g., Open, Limited, etc.) may legally do so, but they are not recognized as divisions for the match results.  Only PCC will count.  Perfectly legal.  Straight out of the rule book!

No. I'm not going to set up a pcc match with no pcc match experience

All I said was that I won't shoot one in a standard USPSA match, but would "consider" doing it in a pcc only match. That's not the same as a pcc shooter complaining about the pcc matches he's competed in and then it's suggested he solve the problen by running a match.

Just last month a few of us put on a PCC only outlaw match at our local club.  I thought it would be better to shoot a PCC in a match built for them, as well as I don't have much interest in shooting a PCC at our regular club matches, so a separate (but equal lol) match sounded perfect for me.  We didn't get a ton of people (29 if I remember right), but everyone seemed to have a great time, and we ended with a lunch and a double elimination shoot-off with 100% payback.  Running it as an outlaw match allowed different targets etc. and overall I called it a success.  We also were able to build stages that offered challenges to a PCC without needing to consider pistols.  Distances were increased, some shots were tighter, round count was higher on most stages, etc.  If someone was wanting to try PCC, or liked shooting it but not at the expense of pistol matches (like myself), an outlaw PCC only match makes a lot of sense.

I run a major outlaw PCC match (AZ State PCC Championship) under rules based on IMA multigun rules with time-plus scoring. This approach has worked really well, and the match has become very popular very quickly. We run this event at the end of September and it is already nearly sold out. By not running under the USPSA banner, I have more $$$ to spend on the generous prize table too.

If I felt the need to run as a USPSA event, I'd do so under Multigun rules instead. Time-plus, no arbitrary round count limits, fewer restrictions on target types and layouts (though even those aspects are still too restrictive for me, hence the outlaw rules). USPSA Multigun rules are definitely a better fit for for PCC than USPSA Handgun rules.

Shooting a PCC only match in Texas this June. And surprisingly topical, the IDPA championship this year will be running the PCC portion stand alone, separate from the handgun portion.

I like PCC just fine. It's not my focus. But I tend to shoot it more when it feels like there are more of them in the match. Steel Challenge especially as it has a long history of allowing long arms.