Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

port vs comp

Joe4d

Ok Open Guru's,, maybe some old timers cause this is gonna be a 45 Acp/super.
Building a XD compact 45, looking at either an extended ported barrel, or a extended threaded and then Springers compensator, will be loading 210-230 hardcast, basically bowling pin loads. Right now gonna start with BE-86 but might do Unique or there abouts in burn rate,, looking for max impact, but reduced recoil.
Assuming dialed in powder, I get impression ports reduce flip but not over all recoil. And comps do a bit of both..
Another factor is cost,, ported barrel is about $190, threaded and comped would be about $300, as much as I paid for gun.
Any suggestions on what I can expect between the 2 ? would the comp be $100 better on a $400 gun ?

Comp is going to be more effective.

BTW I still have my 1911, 45 comp gun.

I remember when we got all excited cause Wilson or McCormick came out with 10 round mags!!!!!!

Compensators do more work than ports, for sure. Both in muzzle rise, and especially in recoil mitigation (where a ported barrel does nothing.)

The gas exiting the barrel hits the wall on the far side of each chamber and blasts against it, effectively pushing the gun forward a little bit.

24 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Compensators do more work than ports, for sure. Both in muzzle rise, and especially in recoil mitigation (where a ported barrel does nothing.)

The gas exiting the barrel hits the wall on the far side of each chamber and blasts against it, effectively pushing the gun forward a little bit.

Yeh that was my understanding as well,  hah was hoping someone would come along and say ported would be just peachy,,, LOL.
Still in process of building my Caspian frame pin gun... got all the parts,  just not the motivation to get moving on it. 
Guess I will pony up for the threaded and comp as gun is fairly light.  Good part though is I am thinking by adding the comp It will just about match up with a tankers holster.
Need something fairly secure and off my waste, without some of the giant complicated shoulder rigs. I do like the basic WWII style tankers rig, dont care about deep concealment.

Porting done correctly flattens the gun out.  It does less for recoil.  Comps can flatten the gun, but not as well as ports/poppels.  Comps can be very effective at reducing recoil if you pick the right one.   IMO, the Springer 45 comp is a waste of time.  I also think you are going about this in the wrong way.

To work a comp you need gas.  A 230gr bullet requires little powder, so not much gas is produced.  A 200gr is better and a 180/185 is better yet.  There are several good 152/155gr bullets out there as well.  Once you have enough gas, you need a comp that makes the most of it.  For 45 that means closely spaced chambers with mostly up ports.  That is certainly not the Springer.

Having done exactly what you are considering, I can tell you it is a waste of time.  Small amounts of fast powders are the way to reduce recoil in a 45.  Small amounts of powder fired in a ported barrel like the EFK Fire Dragon for $190 will give you the most bang for the buck.  You'll get some recoil reduction and a flatter shooting gun.  Both are advantages in pin or 2x4 shoots.

• 4 weeks later...

yeh, lighter bullets dont work for squat , want heavy bullets in the 210 to 255 , hummm  decisions decisions... guess I will see what happens when I get the 5" comped pin gun together before deciding on the XD compact barrel.