Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making Weight for Carry Optics Without Milling the Slide

So I am interested in building a CO gun.  I previously had a CZ Shadow set up for CO and I just flat out prefer Tanfo's over CZ's.  The shadow had a dovetail mounted optic and I had no issues finding the dot or anything. 

I will be building on a budget so milling the slide will be out of the question to start.  I plan on using a Henning dovetail mount with a FF3 for the dot.  

I want to know if it is possible to make weight with a Stock 2, Stock 3, or Lim Pro (IFG or older EAA).  The new IFG Stock 1 does not really interest me.  

Looking for feedback from people that are using any of these platforms that I mentioned with a dovetail mount optic.

What parts are you using to make weight?

Are you using extended mags and still making weight?

Is there a combination of dovetail mount and optic that is lighter than the Henning and FF3?

Thanks

Edited by billthemarine2862

Stock ll

EGW Mount (weighs about the same as the sight)

DDP (heavy by comparison to FF3)

CZ plastic guide rod

Opened up the magwell to legal limits (basically just beveled it all around inside)

Took right side safety off (or by a flat strong side safety)

weight 44.2 ozs 

with hennings extension 23 rounds

1 minute ago, jcc7x7 said:

Stock ll

EGW Mount (weighs about the same as the sight)

DDP (heavy by comparison to FF3)

CZ plastic guide rod

Opened up the magwell to legal limits (basically just beveled it all around inside)

Took right side safety off (or by a flat strong side safety)

weight 44.2 ozs 

with hennings extension 23 rounds

You running factory wood grips?

I made it with a Stock II. Aluminum dovetail mount from Primary Machine, original Deltapoint 7.5, Shadow polymer guide rod, SSI Scales grips, TF or Henning +5 base pads with Grams guts. 44.5oz. I have another Stock II coming in next week, plan to do it all over again. The FFIII is reasonably light, if you go LimPro, you’ll have no problems. With a Stock II, you’ll need to pick part more judiciously. The Stock III will need milling.  I’m thinking of getting the Henning mount for the Romeo 1. Henning lightens his mounts with lots of holes, it’ll weigh very similar to the solid aluminum mounts. 

Edited by OPENB

On 5/19/2019 at 6:18 AM, zombywoof said:

Stock ll

PD palm swell grips

PD guide rod

Gen 1 DP

Aluminum dovetail mount

Flat safety

Magwell opened

Henning  extension

44.6 oz

Good luck

I ran that , but polymer cz guiderod and vortex viper and was 44.5oz.  your gun must be lighter than mine!

If I were building a Tanfo for CO it would be a Lim Pro if I didn’t want to mill the slide... or a Stock 2 if I did.

Either way I want the freedom to run ambi safeties and henning grips if I so desire. 👍

But you know my feels. I’m all about the milling.

My current CO gun:

FD0C3F8D-EDE1-4666-B4A4-D3C7274D6A49.thumb.jpeg.778b88e69a67fa3aafaf5caad39e1019.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic