Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
redwoods

Target Index and Arm Length

I am a left handed shooter who is right eye dominant. 

I did not like how my target index and arm triangle felt. I thought that since I have to shift my arms to place the gun sights in front of my right eye, instead of my left eye, I was not aligned correctly. I decided to shoot right handed. I am now training to shoot right handed, but then started to think about arm length and how my arms align in front of my body.

If I square up to the target and place my arms outstretched in front of my nose and place my palms together, they match up, since both arms are equal length.

When I move my hands to the right, in front of my right eye, keeping my body aligned the same way, square to the target, my left hand comes back and my right hand goes forward, like it would be when gripping the gun with my left hand and using my right hand as the support hand.

Now to another thought, Using my shoulders to blade myself, keeping my hands pointed in the same directing, it changes my arm length.

Maybe the feeling I am having, not being perfectly comfortable, has to do with my shoulders and my lower torso and arms, not being in the best alignment.

Any thoughts on this?

Besides the argument of whether you should shoot right or left handed (you have a choice with pistols, not so much with long guns), you can control your "blading" with your stance, with your torso rotation and the flex in your elbows. Of the three, I wouldn't mess with torso rotation since you need it for transitions. That leaves stance and elbows. Personally, I prefer to compensate for slight asymmetry of the isosceles due to holding the gun and eye position by tweaking my elbows. Not sure it's the best way, but it works well and it's something that becomes a second nature through dry fire. 

Doesn't matter.  You could shoot left handed using your right eye without it actually being a detriment to your performance.  I know shooters do cross eye/hand very successfully.  I'm slightly left eye dominant, but shoot right handed with my right eye.  As far as misalignment in your arms.  Of course.  How you rotate your arms and break your elbows (or not) determines how you get the gun to your proper index.  

IMO, to shoot USPSA (i.e. dynamically) well you should learn to not rely on having your torso, arms, or body positioned in any particular way (this also goes for your feet and stance).  Learn how to put the gun in front of your shooting eye and aligned with the target from ALL positions, both comfortable and awkward and you will be developing the skill required to shoot well.