Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Increase Dillon Case Feeder Speed

Tired of Case Pro and Mark 7 Auto Drives out running my Dlllon Case Feeders.

I selected a Rex Engineering motor - #614K44 at McMasters -Carr ($57.80) - as it is a direct replacement - all five motor mounts are the same - goes in with removal of old motor and connection of the two leads to the replacement motor.

Speed is 10 rpm - 9 rpm under load (Dillon is 4/3). Torque is higher.

Only modification is to cut out  a 1" section of the plastic motor compartment cover "slats" to allow for rear of the replacement motor shaft to have clearance.

You do of course have to drill a hole for the 3/4" roll pin and the shaft is case hardened. If you have a mill you are home free.

Works great.

If you have new style case feeders raise the roll pin a 1/16" up to allow clearance for the adjustment plate to the left and above the funnel.

Have a great day.

Grandpoobah in Scottsdale, Arizona
Edited by Grandpoobah
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, Shmella said:

is that a thing out running the case feeder? I am limited to 1800 rounds per hour but have never ran faster than the case feeder couldnt keep up with. at the higher speeds like 2500-3000 rph does the dillon not keep up?

It is definitely "a thing" with a RollSizer.  The standard Dillon motor would not allow it to run anywhere near full speed

Hi Shmella:

I measured the speed of my case feeder with my higher speed, higher torque motor and it feeds cases at approximately 2,800 cases per hour.

My automated Case Pro 100 requires a speed of approximately 2,100 case per hour in .40 S&W and my Mark 7 .38 S.C. machine loads at 2,400 rounds per hour so the modified case feeder more than keeps up with the speed of the auto drive 1050.

It takes a little less than 30 seconds to completely fill the case feeder drop tube when started empty.

Dillon has announced a new faster version of the case feeder and a motor upgrade kit for those with current case feeders who wish to upgrade their performance due to automation.

Have a great day.

Grandpoobah in Scottsdale, AZ

On 5/17/2019 at 1:19 AM, Grandpoobah said:

I selected a Rex Engineering motor - #614K44 at McMasters -Carr ($57.80) - as it is a direct replacement - all five motor mounts are the same - goes in with removal of old motor and connection of the two leads to the replacement motor.

Are you sure the part number is complete?  It looks like there may be a digit missing.

Also, do you have the Rex part number, as I'm trying to identify an equivalent 240V motor.  I think the 'Spec Number' is what's required, but a photo of the label would be ideal.

Thanks!

Example only, showing location of spec number:
steris-6337-283x300.png

Hi Roxfo (Robert):

I answered your message - I hope that helps - they do not place a Rex number on the motors that McMaster-Carr sells ( they do not want to compete with their large accounts which is understandable ) -  in any event as noted I do not believe in switching to a 24 v d.c. motor - it makes no sense  to me  - you need a power supply and have to worry about the mounting - the motor I used is a DIRECT replacement - no changes to the wiring, etc. No need for a power supply,  Cost is under $60 - what more could you ask for. Motor has more than three times the speed and approximately 50% more torque - it is a win - win situation.

Good luck.

Grandpoobah in Scottsdale

Hi Roxfo:

I tried to reply to your email but I now understand this is not possible so here is what I wrote you:

I have a second post that describes it - see below copy of my second post.

I purchased two (2) McMaster-Carr Rex motors with their (McMaster-Carr) number and I pinned the shaft.

I suggest you do not mess with a 24 Volt D.C. gear motor and power supply.

It is ridiculous to use a d.c motor when a direct replacement a.c. motor is available with more torque and three times the speed. at  some $56.00.

The motor I used fits the Dillon 5 hole mounting points EXACTLY. You just cut the two wires to the motor - screw this one in and connect the two wires to the new motor.

The only thing you have to do first is make a hole in the shaft 0.500" up from the end of the mounts - exactly the same location as on the Molon motor you remove and push in a 3/4" roll pin - as noted they mount exactly the same so the height up from the base is the same as on the Dillon. Note the shaft is case hardened  so you need a slow drill press or a mill and a carbide bit. The bases are very similar - the new motor is slightly larger. You have to remove one slot on the Dillon bottom cover so as to not interfere with the rear of the new motor shaft. This also allows more cooling.

If you have any other questions please write me and I will do my best to help you.

The new motor loads an empty drop tube on my 1050 set up for .38 S.C. in less than 30 seconds with the press off.

Grandpoobah in Scottsdale

Hi Roxfo:

This is frustrating - this is the original post - motor number is #614K44 .

Tired of Case Pro and Mark 7 Auto Drives out running my Dlllon Case Feeders.

I selected a Rex Engineering motor - #614K44 at McMasters -Carr ($57.80) - as it is a direct replacement - all five motor mountsare the same - goes in with removal of old motor and connection of the two leads to the replacement motor.

Speed is 10 rpm - 9 rpm under load (Dillon is 4/3). Torque is higher.

Only modification is to cut out  a 1" section of the plastic motor compartment cover "slats" to allow for rear of the replacement motor shaft to have clearance.

You do of course have to drill a hole for the 3/4" roll pin and the shaft is case hardened. If you have a mill you are home free.

Works great.

If you have new style case feeders raise the roll pin a 1/16" up to allow clearance for the adjustment plate to the left and above the funnel.

Have a great day.

Grandpoobah in Scottsdale, Arizona

Thanks, but I did not mention using a 24V motor.  I'm looking for a 240V motor to be a direct replacement for the existing 240V motor (as fitted to international spec case feeders), precisely to avoid additional wiring and modifications.

I'm not sure if the part numbers have changed since you ordered, but there doesn't seem to be a #614K44 at McMaster-Carr.  There is a #6142K44 (note the extra '2'), which *looks* similar and matches the price you mentioned. 

Edited by roxfo

On 6/2/2019 at 2:28 PM, Grandpoobah said:

Dillon has announced a new faster version of the case feeder and a motor upgrade kit for those with current case feeders who wish to upgrade their performance due to automation.

Did they announce an estimated price or availability date?

Hi Roxfo:

Sorry - you are right  I dropped the 2 and I saw 24 and assumed you were looking for a d.c. motor as most of the adapter kits use these for reasons unknown - other than perhaps easy reversal which in my opinion is not a big deal.

To secure a 240 volt version is easy but not practical - if you call Rex Engineering (1200 Chaffee Dr, Titusville, FL 32780  -  321-268-5500 ) they can tell you if there is an equivalent to this motor as a stock item and perhaps direct you to a distributor that will have it in stock or is willing to order it for you.

They will make it for you if need be - no problem - but you have to agree to a minimum lot.

If you buy 25 pieces they will run a sample lot through their prototype shop if you are considering using them for re-sale - in fact they will tailor the spec to your requirements (increase torque if so requested, etc. ) and include the pinned shaft to the specification required as to location of the hole. 

A step up transformer these days would probably be too expensive but I would definitely call them - they may have a item i 240 v that will fit the bill - make certain that the mounting hole pattern is the same as on the  #6142K44.

Good luck - where are you that you require 240 volts?

Grandpoobah in Scottsdale.

1 hour ago, Grandpoobah said:

Hi Roxfo:

Sorry - you are right  I dropped the 2 and I saw 24 and assumed you were looking for a d.c. motor as most of the adapter kits use these for reasons unknown - other than perhaps easy reversal which in my opinion is not a big deal.

To secure a 240 volt version is easy but not practical - if you call Rex Engineering (1200 Chaffee Dr, Titusville, FL 32780  -  321-268-5500 ) they can tell you if there is an equivalent to this motor as a stock item and perhaps direct you to a distributor that will have it in stock or is willing to order it for you.

A step up transformer these days would probably be too expensive but I would definitely call them - they may have a item i 240 v that will fit the bill - make certain that the mounting hole pattern is the same as on the  #6142K44.

Good luck - where are you that you require 240 volts?

Thanks,

I already eMailed Rex to see if they can do a 240V version; I'll see what they come back with. 

I really only need the faster speed for my prep press, and I already have a 110V supply available there for the RT1200 (which was only available in 110V), so worst case is converting the case feeder to 110v and using the motor you identified.  Only complication is I added an off-delay timer in there so the motor isn't stop-starting as cases drop past the micro-switch, so I'd need a 110V timer as well (assuming it isn't already multi-voltage).

These presses are exclusively for .308; my only concern is that the higher speed might not give enough time for the longer cases to drop - I occasionally get a case jamming on one of the presses.  The feeders are both the old version, but I have one of the new models still boxed that's waiting for an annealer project, so I could swap that in.

Do you use rifle cases with the higher speed motor?

I'm in the UK, hence the 240V supply.

Thanks again!

Hi Roxfo:

The UK ???

Never heard if it.

Kidding aside I shoot .308 occasionally - I have a Super Match M1A made for me when I was in the industry - four lug receiver, Krieger match barrel,Leopold scope, etc.

It is wasted on me as I shoot old D.C.M. military ammo.

I am, however, neurotic about my .38 S.C. ammo as I shoot Open Class in Arizona .

Back to motors.

Dillon's new motor ( a Molon ) runs at 8 rpm - mine goes at 10 rpm - not much of a difference but some of my case feeders are the new style with adjustments available.

I  suggest a 110V supply as it will be much less expensive than a special order motor.

Or you can import some electricity from the states - every one in a while we have sales on used electricity.

Hope all is well.

Grandpoobah in Scottsdale.

Edited by Grandpoobah
Might not be politically correct.