Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Sliding" targets

In a lot of IPSC match video I have seen they use a sliding target.  A target that moves from one side to another on a tract or something similar.  Does anyone have some pictures/videos/details on these contraptions?  would like to build one but not sure where to start. 

Some use a cable with the targets hanging from the cable, others use a metal bar as hanger for the targets. The metal bar (or L shaped bar) as a hanger is mutch better;  do not deform or loose shape during the match.

This is probably not what you're looking for, but I made a junky wooden track with a wheeled target stand. Only set it up to roll maybe 12-14'. Was amusing though.

Also, my club is purchasing the cheapest "Running Man" target from Action Target. Might be an option if your club has some extra cash. https://www.actiontarget.com/products/portable-runner/

Thats kind of the idea im going for.  I would need it to survive a uspsa major match.  Im guessing somewhat like a rollercoaster works.  I would build one out of steel i imagine.  Just need to find some pictures of such a contraption.  

A roller coaster setup would be good. Could have a better incline and would probably prevent the wheels from binding like I encountered.

Folks with the materials and skills to set stuff like up are impressive.

Garage door track and wheels, weld up your own railroad track and a skateboard to ride inside it.

Also, ensure it’s the kind of target you will inherently need to carefully aim and prep the trigger for. Or put it right up in your face.

If it’s a “hammer multiple rapid shots at 7yd” kind of situation, Johnny D class *will* shank one a low and shoot your tracks.

If it’s going to be a fast target, put it really close. Bullets bending tracks are bad. If the mover fails partway through the match you have to toss the stage, so build it extremely well.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I built one with a steel trolley using in-line skate wheels and a 40 foot wood track on an incline. Here are a couple of pictures of the trolley and the target holder along with the release hook. I made the target holder wide enough to use two targets and you could have it charge you and shoot with out shooting the track up.

T 1.jpg

T 4.jpg

T 5.jpg

T 6.jpg

T 8.jpg

The track I built has 2 inch side boards.  The extra horizontal wheels act as bumper guides. The weight is to add momentum and to be heavy enough so the target stays upright. It will handle a bit of wind and not tip over.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Garage door track and wheels, weld up your own railroad track and a skateboard to ride inside it.

Also, ensure it’s the kind of target you will inherently need to carefully aim and prep the trigger for. Or put it right up in your face.

If it’s a “hammer multiple rapid shots at 7yd” kind of situation, Johnny D class *will* shank one a low and shoot your tracks.

If it’s going to be a fast target, put it really close. Bullets bending tracks are bad. If the mover fails partway through the match you have to toss the stage, so build it extremely well.

Garage door track is a good idea.  I might give that one a go.  Could offer some protection for at least the front part of the track with some angle iron.  

1 hour ago, CrashDodson said:

how did you get it to come to a nice stop?

I used a tapered piece of wood that gradually got thicker at the end and the friction stops it. The wood is narrower than the wheel base of the skateboard.

1 hour ago, CrashDodson said:

also how did you activate the trolley by opening then window

I had a weight attached to the trip cable, held in place with a pin, when you open the window the pin was pulled and the weight dropped releasing the latch.

Edited by mchapman