Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommeded long sleeve SPF shirts for summer?

Slalom45

My dermatologist keeps burning stuff off of my arms and telling me to cover up more. I've tried the surf/fishing style shirts, but they tend to be very loose which is not great in regard to catching gear on your belt, etc.

Do you guys have some recommended brands? My wish list is tight fitting, SPF, and very breathable as it gets hot and sweaty quick in the south Louisiana summer. Thanks in advance.

Appreciate the information so far. Have any of you used the "sleeves" made by Columbia and others? Seems this would be a nice option as you could wear it with any jersey and not be adding layers of clothing on hot days...

Make sure to get some that are SPF rated. I believe Columbia makes some. Im not sure if techwears are rated for SPF. Doesn’t JJ use some that have pockets for heat and cooling packs?

Edited by JAustin316

20 hours ago, Slalom45 said:

My dermatologist keeps burning stuff off of my arms and telling me to cover up more. I've tried the surf/fishing style shirts, but they tend to be very loose which is not great in regard to catching gear on your belt, etc.

Do you guys have some recommended brands? My wish list is tight fitting, SPF, and very breathable as it gets hot and sweaty quick in the south Louisiana summer. Thanks in advance.

Check out JJ or send him a message on FB. He wears a certain shirt that you can also slip in cold packs in the wrist area and on the inside of your bicep/tricep area

18 minutes ago, Brian04rs said:

Those jj sleeves look interesting, anyone looked into the sizing options? Didn’t see anything on the website, I’m assuming it’s the length. 

I just got my pair in the mail. Qores website has the sizing listed 

https://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Workwear-Pocket-T-shirt-Regular/dp/B000G73LX0/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=Cj0KCQjwoInnBRDDARIsANBVyAR5eWsu9METHBXg3FmtLlH7W79eF-wv4JV032I8vdXwan2AMRXqWjkaAv6yEALw_wcB&hvadid=323093624287&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9016656&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4564387307872768119&hvtargid=kwd-38851500628&hydadcr=12942_9734013&keywords=carhartt%2Blong-sleeve%2Bshirt&qid=1558385525&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

Not tight fitting but I use them at matches until the weather allows me to stay warm in a short sleeve shirt, can't ever remember getting something snagged or catching gear. 

It is an old farmers thing to wear cotton long sleeves when it is hot, between the sun protection and the sweat evaporation I think you stay as cool as you would with short sleeves, assuming you buy a light color. 

I use a quarter-zip Huk Icon fishing shirt. 30+ UPF, mesh back, and mesh from the armpits down the sleeves. It's super breathable.

The only downside is that the wrist elastic isn't very tight, so I roll the wrists up a little right before I shoot.

I've been using those sleeves for golf for a few years now. They are wonderful. The white does a great job of reflecting the sun's energy, it literally feels cool when you wear them. And not applying as much sunscreen means your hands aren't as... gooey for golf..... ahem... shooting.

Amazon has a lot of options for those sleeves, like 3 pair for $10 kinda thing. I have a few of them in every bag I own in case I'm caught out by the freak occurrences of burning hot sun here in PNW.