Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX Pro PCC???

Also said this in another thread, but I've run about 10,000 rounds through my MBX Extreme PCC, and while it's pretty good for the money out of the box, the recoil and construction causes the gun to break itself apart. It's been extremely accurate, and very well balanced, but over time the gun basically has torn itself to part. I've gone through 2 buffer tubes because the castle nut has ripped through the staking and shreded the buffer tube threads, and the front handguard has also stripped the barrel nut, and won't maintain a consistent position relative to the frame.

Depending on how much you shoot, it's a decent option, but for a couple hundred more, you could get the JP GMR-15 (w/ immediate shipping from Shooters Connection). 

It seems like a pretty solid gun, but a bit overpriced for what it is. A friend has one and honestly doesn't get that excited to shoot it. He wishes he built one or bought a JP after trying our guns. He's already looking at switching out the buffer, trigger, and handguard.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I'd actually highly recommend getting a Gen 3 Sig MPX. Amazing difference in recoil reduction and dot movement relative to an AR9 platform, and out of the box it's ready to race. Pretty much every top PCC shooter in the Las Vegas area is now using the MPX platform. 

Mine MBX PRO has 3.000 rounds thru it since March, runs like a swiss clock. No malfunction, great ergonomy and weight distribution, one of the best packages available straight out of the box. I love hi-end look of match barrel with "embedded" compensator, accuracy is very good, comp works, the length and diameter of the handguard is just right. Fit&finish is top notch, Houge stock doesn't wobble, tuned POF trigger works well,  one of the easiest guns to load with good size magwell plus glock mag sits perfectly (could be adjusted even further). MBX PRO eats all ammo and was very very reliable till now (without single malfunction!). Also MBX's buffer system works. It is miles better than any stock blowback solution,  by my opinion in the same class or slightly better than JP SCS or Taccom's buffer. Custom short-stroke/hydraulic solution could stabilize the dot movement even more.

I've tested different AR franken-builds, CMMG, MPX Gen2, hopefully next week I'll test also MPX PCC. Those are PCCs I could get my hands on, because in Europe the offering is limited. Low-end ARs tend to brake pins/triggers and are unreliable in general as soon as you start to modify them. CMMG is very good platform, shoots with less recoil and flatter than MBX PRO but you have to invest in it to make it to race-gun (trigger, comp, stock, eventually also buffer..). MPXGen2 shoots flat(ter) but I had troubles with my loads (124gr 130 PF for Shadow2), MPXGen2 keep on jamming. No troubles with factory ammo thou. 

If you are into AR style PCC that is suitable for competition and you don't have time/knowledge/money for experimenting with custom upgrades, than MBX PRO is one of the best race PCCs out-of-the-box currently on the (EU) market. 

Edited by Krgolob

I have around 5,000 rounds thru mine and did its first cleaning.  Haven't had any issues.  Eats every ammo I have tried.  My cmmg has had feed issues and my quarter circle 10 will only eat round nose.  But his gun eats everything and well.  Very accurate.  With my experiences with my other pccs I would buy another one without hesitation. 

• 2 weeks later...

My MBX has been nothing but amazing.  Flat, accurate, reliable, and well made.  I chose not to buy a JP because I didn't want to have to put more money into a new gun when an MBX was truly competition ready from the box.  JP definitely has their fanboys and I readily admit that they make a fine rifle and carbine but they are certainly not the only option.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive shot 2k rounds so far. Ive made the mistakes of trying to build a competition pistol only to overspend because of parts I wrongfully bought, or I ended up not liking it. Thats why I decided to get something ready to go. I went with a few bells and whistles like the bad lever, which turned out to be very helpful.

My impressions starting out; this thing is light! Minimal dot movement and it was flat. Their patented tuneable buffer came stock and it just softens so much.

The best part? It ate everything and never had any issues with any ammo. Only time something went wrong on my stage is when my glock magazine spring follower got stuck and my rounds were just rattling.

Here are the changes I have made and kept. I went with a lighter fixed stock just because it looked cool. Added a foregrip for easy index.

The best upgrade was the trigger. I replaced the pof 3.5lb flat face trigger for for the hiperfire 24 c because it was lighter and it struck primers harder. Plus, I keep hiperfire in my ar too.

The bad and the ugly; i replaced the hanguard because it would shift after a range session. I emailed mbx and they were more than happy to repair it. But, since I had matches scheduled already, I would not be able to send it off and wait.

I ended up buying a cheap slim handguard and it hasnt happened since.

All in all, Ive spent less than 2k overall, thats including the holosun 510c 

20190618_074105.thumb.jpg.38ff47c1d6f9da422a906bab2ad88242.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 3:47 PM, Jcgatus said:

Ive shot 2k rounds so far. Ive made the mistakes of trying to build a competition pistol only to overspend because of parts I wrongfully bought, or I ended up not liking it. Thats why I decided to get something ready to go. I went with a few bells and whistles like the bad lever, which turned out to be very helpful.

My impressions starting out; this thing is light! Minimal dot movement and it was flat. Their patented tuneable buffer came stock and it just softens so much.

The best part? It ate everything and never had any issues with any ammo. Only time something went wrong on my stage is when my glock magazine spring follower got stuck and my rounds were just rattling.

Here are the changes I have made and kept. I went with a lighter fixed stock just because it looked cool. Added a foregrip for easy index.

The best upgrade was the trigger. I replaced the pof 3.5lb flat face trigger for for the hiperfire 24 c because it was lighter and it struck primers harder. Plus, I keep hiperfire in my ar too.

The bad and the ugly; i replaced the hanguard because it would shift after a range session. I emailed mbx and they were more than happy to repair it. But, since I had matches scheduled already, I would not be able to send it off and wait.

I ended up buying a cheap slim handguard and it hasnt happened since.

All in all, Ive spent less than 2k overall, thats including the holosun 510c 

20190618_074105.thumb.jpg.38ff47c1d6f9da422a906bab2ad88242.jpg

Thanks so much for your feedback! I am *this* close to buying an MBX. What handguard is that? Is it a STNGR? Looks good.  Is it slim and feel good too? 

On 7/3/2019 at 1:46 PM, SergioSF said:

Thanks so much for your feedback! I am *this* close to buying an MBX. What handguard is that? Is it a STNGR? Looks good.  Is it slim and feel good too? 

This is actually a slim mlok handguard i bought cheap off of ebay. For 40 dollars, it fixed a few issues I had with the original stock handguard! 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 2:29 PM, Ustintman said:

Anyone know how to put a bad lever on a mbx 9 mm PCC

Get a Phase 5 bold release. That's how I ordered mine and I love it.

My gun has run flawlessly in matches. Bought it after winning and then losing matches due to malfunctions with a (sold) MPX.