Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shadow 2 hammer issue

chetc

need some assistance, i have a new shadow 2, shot it for approx 800 rounds, no problems, i took it apart to clean up and polish some parts, i took .008 off the hooks, gun shoots a little erratic, i may shoot 10-15 rounds and then i get a hammer hang up, hammer falls forward about 1/4" or so, when i took the hooks down i kept the same angle of the flat on top of the hooks, so now that i removed .008 the flat is a bit longer, i did not do anything else, i am thinking i have to get back in there and shorten the flat, is it possible the sear is hanging up there, this only happens when i pull the trigger real slow aiming on paper targets, shooting fast is no problem.

chet

ps the sear is not catching anything, i thought it was, it is something else, if i pull real slow, not all the time but the hammer drops 1/4" the most, something else is causing the hangup, any ideas and i want to add that i did oil the internals kind of heavy, not sure that will kind of cause anything,

update, notice when i pull the slide back ant pull the trigger it seems crisp on the drop, if i hold the trigger after i pull the trigger cock it, and let the trigger out till i hear the reset and pull the trigger the hammer does not drop as crisp.

Edited by chetc

It's entirely possible that your new hook height is causing the sear to hit the safety/half cock notch on the hammer. Similar to having an overtravel screw adjusted incorrectly.

If you pull the trigger until the hammer just releases, and then manually lower the hammer, do you feel it catching a little on the stroke?

57 minutes ago, WhiteDingo said:

It's entirely possible that your new hook height is causing the sear to hit the safety/half cock notch on the hammer. Similar to having an overtravel screw adjusted incorrectly.

after observing what you said, it is a possibility, after dryfiring 100 times i cannot make it happen, if it is what you say, then the way out of this is to take down the hooks on the half cock a few thousands, is that correct

If you pull the trigger until the hammer just releases, and then manually lower the hammer, do you feel it catching a little on the stroke?

Edited by chetc

With the slide off, can you duplicate the problem?

Are you sure the gun is reassembled correctly? I'm not trying to be critical, but if something is not back together correctly, or say something is sticking out where it shouldn't be, that will cause issues.

i will take the gun apart and check it over, took it out today, this issue happened 2 times out of 100 shots, now that i am concentrating on whats happening, when the trigger fails, seems as if when pulling the trigger the hammer falls forward and seems as if it is double action mode, i relax the trigger and the hammer goes forward i then let the trigger off and the hammer then clicks into the mode as if when i manually let the hammer down, it goes to about 1/8" away from the firing pin, if i pull the hammer back i can shoot the shot.

chet

was at the range today, all is fine in s/a. the trigger felt smoother and positive, so tomorrow i will fit the CGW short disco and hope the trigger hanging up issue don't come back.

chet

i installed the new disco and fit it, now the issue is every try at the bench, i pull the trigger and the trigger drop about 1/16"every time and it is in double action i can continue to pull the trigger just like a regular double action.

any ideas before i give up and make it a sa gun

chet

ps i am going to try and make a video on this, if i remove the disco all is fine in SA

finally got it, thanks to whitedingo. was in the wing flat on the disco. had to remove a few thousands.

chet

Edited by chetc