Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you approach your backup guns?

Couple things.  Your back up gun should be reasonably close.  Especially if you are flying to matches.  I don't have the space to bring a separate holster, mags, belt, pouches, etc. for a spare gun that it totally different.  That said, if I was shooting a Glock 34, throwing a stock 17 in would be fine as well.  CZ, main gun is a CZ Custom Shadow 2, a stock one would work until you can get it tuned up.  The other option is to travel with a friend who shoots something similar enough to work in your gear.  When I traveled shooting 2011's, it was easy because my buddy shot the same thing.  I basically had 4 guns to pick from when we got there.  I've also borrowed/loaned gear out when stuff breaks.  The more common your equipment is, the easier that will be.  

As far as keeping a match gun and a practice gun, I've never been a fan of this.  Bob Londigran from Brazos wrote an article against this.  His reasoning was basically if the only time you shoot your match gun is in a match, when is it going to fail?  By shooting it in practice as well, not only are you the most familiar with it, but if something goes squirrelly you can fix it before it breaks mid Stage 10 of Nationals.  Is that going to put extra rounds on the main gun?  Sure.  Guess it just depends on how much you want to not have it break in the middle of a big match.  

Any back up is way better than none!

certainly an identical back up would be perfect but I went a different route which is to use a less expensive model from the same manufacturer which takes the same mags and works in the same holster.

Main gun:   CZC shadow custom (S1) , full custom job by CZC.  Slide milled by CZC for carry optics.

back up:    CZ 85C bought used,  with a few after market parts installed by myself.  Slide still milled by CZC.   Way less expensive and still shoots extremely well.

I agree with Chuck that it is very nice for the back up to use the same mags and holster.

On 5/15/2019 at 3:09 PM, rowdyb said:

I have two EXACT guns, but for one color difference on a part to tell them apart. One is a dry fire, practice and local match gun. One is major match only gun.

This, as far as the guns being the same except for grip color so I can tell them apart at a glance.  My two newest guns, I ordered at the same time specifically for the purpose of having a backup.  Not sure yet if they will have different roles as far as matches and practice.  I'll let the guns tell me what they want to do.

For me I typically have two extremely similar guns. Like this year I'll shoot Limited. I have two 2011's the difference is basically color and one is full dust cover one isn't and one has a couple holes in the slide. In the hand, and behind the sights you can't really notice those little differences. I also have a 4" gun that could work in a pinch, and while I'd notice the difference I don't think my score would really reflect it.

I also have a spare tuned trigger group, extra slide stops, extractors etc in my bag.

I have two identical Stock 2's. One is practice/ dry fire and the other is a match gun. Before I got the second, I was using a G34 as a backup and I got tired of bringing an extra holster and mags to matches. I think you can usually get by in limited and production without a backup but if you are in CO or open you are probably going to need a backup sooner rather than later. 

On 5/16/2019 at 4:40 PM, random_guy7531 said:

S2 in time for my matches this year, so Ill likely proceed with making my old Canik the backup

It's worth noting that what others have said about the two guns being reasonably close is not just for the sake of being familiar with them, but also for complying with the rules. Canik is striker fired, correct? I dont know if any RM would have an issues with hammer vs striker substitution since both are on the Production approved list... but worth knowing in advance. Check out rules 5.1.7 and 5.1.8 just in case.