Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you approach your backup guns?

Hey all!

As I've gotten more serious in this sport (and have a decent set of matches that I'm travelling to this year), I'm starting to lend greater credence to the idea of getting a backup gun.

My main question though, is how do most people think of their backup gun? Is it something that you try to make 100% exactly like your primary competition firearm? Or is it something similar to, but not exact - which you then use to try out different accessories/setups/etc.? While intuition would make me think its the former, I know there are plenty of people whose primary gun was made by some now defunct builder (and therefore cant get a backup even if they wanted to), but retain a backup gun of a different type/make that they still do some occasional practice with.

In my particular scenario, I shot last year's season in CO with a Canik TP9SFX. I had some issues with it that caused me to move platforms and I now use a CZ Shadow 2 (w/ milling/work by CZC). I am trying to decide between spending quite a bit of $$$ to get another S2 machined, or turning the Canik into a backup gun, but using it also as a platform to try out different red dot options (without having to always re zero my primary gun).

I have 2 Shadow 2s setup the same for Prod. 1 for practice / dryfire and 1 for matches. I also have another Shadow 2 setup basically the exact same for CO just add milling by CZC and a DPP. If I decide to focus more on CO next year I might get a 2nd one for CO.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I had two TruBors - both sighted in with the same 9mm Major ammo,

and almost identical (one had a lightened slide and grip tape).

But, doesn't have to be exact.   As long as you have a 2nd gun so

you can keep shooting - if you need a 2nd gun, you've probably

knocked yourself out of doing as well as usual.  But, you get to

keep shooting instead of driving back home.

I had a gunsmith install a FO front sight on my BHP 15 years 

ago, sighted it in and drove 250 miles to a match.  Front sight

blew off the gun during my first stage.

Wiped out my score, but a squad member I had never met

loaned me a Beretta to shoot - took me two COF's to figure

out the double action/single action thing and the safety, and

one RO gave me a bit of a hard time because the Beretta didn't

fit real well in my BHP holster (wasn't a danger, just pretty

obvious it didn't belong there).

BUT, better than driving 250 miles back home after the 1st

stage and I made a new friend in Syracuse     :) 

Like Jack said: IF you have to go to your back up gun your probably not going to win /place in the match!

But

You get to enjoy shooting the rest of the match and at least have an opportunity to try some new things that you normally wouldn't do

like maybe push a little harder on a stage you might normally be cautious on, or whatever etc etc. Cause the match is already out the window!

If you can afford it get the same set up, other wise just a gun that is functional.  That would require two different rigs or at least another holster etc.

I've got two basically the same FWIW

I think guns with optics need backups. I have had an RTS2 go down on an open gun at big match and just last year at area 4 my dpp on a CO shadow2 failed towards the end of a stage early in the match and both times having a backup gun really saved the day. I have two mostly identical shadow2 and use one for practice and the other for matches. Having at least the same brand that uses the same mags, ammo and holster helps. For awhile I had an SP01 Shadow as a backup and it worked out ok. 

Thanks for everyone's input! It seems like the general consensus is to have the backup gun be as close to the primary as possible w.r.t. configuration. I don't think that Ill be able to get CZ to make me another S2 in time for my matches this year, so Ill likely proceed with making my old Canik the backup for the time being. Ill then look to get another CZ made as the season comes to close.

2 hours ago, shred said:

Once you start to wear a gun out, get another one and use the old one as backup.

Until then, use whatever's handy as a backup.

Yep, I like to shoot as many local matches as I can with primary.  Everytime I tried to "save" a gun for major matches guess what, something went wrong at the last minute.

I have two identical guns (apart from different color grips). I use both of them for everything - dry fire, training, local, major matches. Just pick one at random and use it.

I don't want to learn that my backup gun is broken, not zeroed, etc. only when my primary gun breaks.

3 hours ago, shred said:

Once you start to wear a gun out, get another one and use the old one as backup.

Until then, use whatever's handy as a backup.

Bingo we got a winner 

I used to have 2 identical open guns and they were close but not identical in how they shot, they were so identical that I cracked the slides on both of them within a month of each other

Now my backup gun is my old one as long as your ammo runs in both guns, you’re good

On 5/15/2019 at 5:09 PM, rowdyb said:

I have two EXACT guns, but for one color difference on a part to tell them apart. One is a dry fire, practice and local match gun. One is major match only gun.

I'm similar except there are so many good local matches around that I don't know if I will ever go to another major except to help out a local club as staff. Match gun and workhorse gun. 

I have two EXACT guns, but for one color difference on a part to tell them apart. One is a dry fire, practice and local match gun. One is major match only gun.

This ^

It hurts a bit more in Limited or Open but it’s the best way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never had to go to my backup and doubt I will.  I am actually trying to sell mine currently because I’ve decided it’s just a waste.  I’ll probably still take along something that will qualify as a backup but I cannot see the sense of having two limited guns when my main one never gives me any grief.  Probably just screwed myself bu saying that and selling (trying) my other.

I have never had to go to my backup and doubt I will.  I am actually trying to sell mine currently because I’ve decided it’s just a waste.  I’ll probably still take along something that will qualify as a backup but I cannot see the sense of having two limited guns when my main one never gives me any grief.  Probably just screwed myself bu saying that and selling (trying) my other.

Practice & Match guns is a better strategy than Primary & Backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think some guns need a full backup, some dont. Everyone should have some extra parts though. Anything with a dot will fail at some point. A case head separation on a glock will destroy the internals, probably nothing will be wrecked on a steel frame gun. I'd think in terms of, "what can break, and if its fixable how easily can it be done?".

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 5/25/2019 at 1:49 AM, Mushki25 said:

I have - at least twice.  The two I remember were losing my front sight in the middle of a stage, and then cracking a Glock 34 slide - that would have been a match ender without a backup gun..... 

When I was serious about competing in Production, I had a pair of identically set-up Glock 34s.  Later when I replaced one, they were still identically set-up, but one was on a 3 pin frame, while the older one was on a 2 pin frame....