Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry fire drills to improve trigger control?

AndyG

Im just looking for a handful of drills/advice on trigger control. Ive been missing a lot of easy shots and not the hard ones.. When I need to slow down and make a shot I can but when it seems the targets are easy im fairly sure im pulling shots inconsistently and some stages consistently. Its quite frustrating and hoping there are some drills/things I can do to help alleviate this problem. TIA

Extend gun. Finger lightly contacting trigger.

At the buzzer slam the trigger into the grip as hard as you would when hammering close targets.

Grip really really hard. Don’t move the gun.

You don’t pull the trigger slowly in USPSA. Work on rowing it fast hard and ugly, but still straight.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

When i miss easy targets it is generally not trigger control, i tend to shoot something like alpha mike.  I do this because i am moving the gun to the next target about the same time i am pulling the trigger, i.e. not getting a sight picture.  So, are you getting a sight picture on each shot?  Doesn't have to be precise sight picture on close targets, but an acceptable one.  May not be your issue, but could be.

Also do you have any idea of where your misses are going?

25 minutes ago, RJH said:

Also do you have any idea of where your misses are going?

Generally low left.  and the frustrating part is this is a new thing. 2 months ago this wasn't an issue. Im gonna try to get back to basics and go from there.

Gotcha,  sounds more like anticipating recoil to me. I would do what memphis said and prove  it out with bill drills. Also I  grip the gun hard with my weak hand and less hard with my strong hand. If i grip too hard with my strong hand i get a sympathetic movement when I pull the trigger.  Good luck

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You don’t pull the trigger slowly in USPSA. Work on rowing it fast hard and ugly, but still straight.

🤣🤣THE BEST ADVISE YET!!!!!

20-25 yard bill drills and those dot drills. 

I mean whatever causes pressure for the shooter. Distance,  time or both. You won’t consistently make the shots or the time if you don’t have good triggers control. Good luck. 

8 hours ago, AndyG said:

Generally low left.  and the frustrating part is this is a new thing. 2 months ago this wasn't an issue. 

You grip changed.

Look there.

If you’ve been doing dryfire, you almost certainly need to re-train yourself to grip the gun really really hard.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...