Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon clipping & Needle Nose pliers


Esquire
 Share

Recommended Posts

Saw a video recently with Miculek and he was mooning some ammo while talking about whatever it was he was talking about....he was using needle nose pliers.  Don't know if that's always how he does it (I wouldn't be surprised) but I just thought it was interesting. 
 

I gave it a shot and it's actually pretty quick and there was no marring of the brass or the moon clips to speak of.  So I probably won't be buying a tool and definitely am carrying needle nose pliers in the range bag now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seen that same video on you tube. I have always used a small pair of angled square nosed pliars. Loads quick, no damage. I use one of those tube type unloaders.

Never had a special loader/unloader like what is popular now. Never saw the need.

I load all my moons before the match. Saves lots of time and aggravation during the match.

Works for me...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An old set of needle nose are the best cause all the ridges on the jaws are worn off so they don't

leave any marks on the moons or the brass.

Go to the local used / consignment shop and you'll find all you want of your tool box

doesn't already have a worn out set!!! LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Interesting.

 

Is the video available to watch?

 

 

It is I’m sure but I’ll be danged if I could go back and find which one it is out of all the clips I’ve watched of Miculek. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Esquire said:

 

It is I’m sure but I’ll be danged if I could go back and find which one it is out of all the clips I’ve watched of Miculek. 

 

Thank you for looking.   I rummaged around and also did not find it. (But did come across some other neat stuff.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

I have seen that same video on you tube. I have always used a small pair of angled square nosed pliars. Loads quick, no damage. I use one of those tube type unloaders.

Never had a special loader/unloader like what is popular now. Never saw the need.

I load all my moons before the match. Saves lots of time and aggravation during the match.

Works for me...

I am doing the same thing.  My old man even made me one of the tube type unloaders.  He had some aluminum tube that was just a hair bigger inside dia. than a .38 spl and he notched it and put it in a red plastic handle of some sort he had bought several of at Home Depot.  He’s one of the most resourceful and ingenious people I’ve ever known. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do it as well with pliers. Very fast once you get the hang of it. 

 

Jerry did it as well in one of the first episodes of Hot Shots during revolver nationals I believe. 

You see him sitting and reloading his clips with pliers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, WFargo said:

I do it as well with pliers. Very fast once you get the hang of it. 

 

Jerry did it as well in one of the first episodes of Hot Shots during revolver nationals I believe. 

You see him sitting and reloading his clips with pliers. 

 

That may well have been where I saw him doing it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you can also get them in by bashing the rim against a rock.

 

There are better ways of doing this, just because " jerry did it that way " doesn't mean its the best way.

 

Plenty of great and affordable products out there that make it easy and efficient. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you point out where I insinuated that pliers are the best way or that because Jerry does it that way it's the best way? 

I don't find that it takes an inordinate amount of time to clip them with the pliers.  It's certainly no slower than the TK style of loader.   And I already had the pliers.  So I saved a nice little chunk of money. Thought others might want the same opportunity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've used pliers of all sorts to moonclip ammo and it works just fine.  My wife gave me a BMT Mooner and while it does have it's challenges I've gotten used to it and use it almost exclusively now.  The pliers and my old tube style demooners still get some use but the BMT tool gets the most use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Esquire said:

So I saved a nice little chunk of money. Thought others might want the same opportunity.

 

 

You got me all wrong man, i'm just trying to help save money for the guys who cant afford pliers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, alecmc said:

 

 

You got me all wrong man, i'm just trying to help save money for the guys who cant afford pliers.


Oh is that what you were doing?   Since I didn't in any way, form, or fashion suggest that because Jerry does it that way that it's the best way, I just thought you were typing things for the pleasure of reading your own response. 

I understand now, though.  You're the self-proclaimed  "'go-to' guy for revolver advice, tips and tricks." Sorry I didn't do a thread about how you load moons. 

Edited by Esquire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...