Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

B12i vs Versamax Competition

m39nut

Looking at buying a new shotgun this summer, finally after 2 years of waiting. I was wondering would the B12 or the Versa be a better choice. I know the versa is a softer shooter but I question it's long term durability and reliability compared to the B12. I am an occasional 3 gun shooter now so I don't want to drop a huge amount on a M2.

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

4 hours ago, m39nut said:

I am an occasional 3 gun shooter now so I don't want to drop a huge amount on a M2.

What's a "huge amount"?  Bud's is selling their leftover "exclusive" Benelli M1 (mostly M2) for $750, shipped.  

Full disclosure:  I just bought one. 

I guess I could've bought something cheaper, but I think the potential resale value and the aftermarket support for a Benelli M1/M2 is unbeatable. 

3 hours ago, m39nut said:

It looks promising. Is a 28" barrel good for 3 gun? If they're still around when I get back from vacation in mid-June, I will probably snatch one up.

Barrels have gotten longer and longer. Is it good? Up to you. You’ll get varied responses. How a shotgun swings is a personal thing. I’m good with a 21” or 24” barrel. 

Between those 3, I would definitely get the 28” M1. Local guys are having trouble with the Breda, and the VM has longevity issues. You’re gonna put a 12 rd tube on the 28” anyway, so it’s not going to really make a difference.

I have a Versamax Competition Tactical tuned by RCI, and it's terrible. Ran it for Hard as Hell in Utah this past December, and I was ready to spear throw it into a berm. Unreliable, lots of light strikes, misfeeds, poor POA/POI. After that, I put in an order for a custom Benelli, and it runs like a dream. 

Everyone I know with the Breda loves it; solid loading port from the factory, and interchangeable parts with the Benelli. If I had to buy a shotgun with no aftermarket work, I'd go with the Breda.