Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO optic

Nimitz

Since I'm never going to be shooting Production again & I don't want to get rid of my SP01 Shadow I've decided to convert it to a CO pistol.  Have not been following the current trends in this division so what optic are folks using for the Shadow in CO?

Edited by Nimitz

Overall the field is fairly closely split between DPP and Romeo, at least what I see locally and on the basis of Nationals' survey. Everybody is excited about SRO but nobody really used one. Since it shares RMR footprint, it would not be possible, to the best of my understanding, mill a direct pocket for it on CZ 75-derivative slides. You'd have to go through adapter plate of some sort, which I am less than excited about.

1 hour ago, YVK said:

Overall the field is fairly closely split between DPP and Romeo, at least what I see locally and on the basis of Nationals' survey. Everybody is excited about SRO but nobody really used one. Since it shares RMR footprint, it would not be possible, to the best of my understanding, mill a direct pocket for it on CZ 75-derivative slides. You'd have to go through adapter plate of some sort, which I am less than excited about.

Correct. Assuming you want to use any of the locating pins.

Dpp on a S1 and S2

since the new Sro is soon the be shipping guys are probably gonna be letting go dpp.

i picked one up for 260 on tacswap a month ago.  Shot 1k rds no issues yet.  Also picked up one off here from the guy that was selling 6 of them.

I have a Vortex Venom on mine and love it......

image.thumb.png.8ebebc73ee55beb201a353b21264e870.png

I got an extra Shadow slide from CZ Custom milled for the optic, so I switch 'uppers' for when I still shoot Production or SSP in IDPA.

Edited by MoRivera

33 minutes ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Wait, you can't put an RMR/SRO/Holosun 507C on the Shadow 2?

The shadow 2 has to be cut to run an optic. Most the ones I’ve seen are cut for the dpp it for a plate.  The plate doesn’t help you make weight.  Since most have to have the sight milled I’m sure you could get it milked for the Trijicon sights 

1 hour ago, avastcosmicarena said:

Wait, you can't put an RMR/SRO/Holosun 507C on the Shadow 2?

You can. Question is if it can be done through a direct milling, without use of adapter plates, like you can do for most other optics.

2 hours ago, YVK said:

What if I don't care about bosses?

From my measurements, it’s close without bosses. The threads on the mounting screws are .010-.015” from the outside walls of the slide if my models are accurate

SRO looks killer but that price tag???? yikes

I have a Venom on my S2 and a JPOINT on my M&P

both good but neigher great, if I can find a good price on an SRO I may bite the bullet

as I was thinking C-more RTS-2 but this looks to probably be more reliable

****edit*** you can find these for a little more than the RMR *****

Edited by kmanick

17 hours ago, kmanick said:

SRO looks killer but that price tag???? yikes

I have a Venom on my S2 and a JPOINT on my M&P

both good but neigher great, if I can find a good price on an SRO I may bite the bullet

as I was thinking C-more RTS-2 but this looks to probably be more reliable

****edit*** you can find these for a little more than the RMR *****

PResume for a moment that the SRO doesn't have to be sent back as often as the DPP - what's the hassle of being down an optic worth to you?  because it's about $100 more than a DPP presently. 

To the OP's question - if you were to go for the DPP - I bit on the 2.5 MOA dot - if I did it all over again - I think I'd do the 7.5 MOA triangle - zero for the top of the triangle then when you're shooting fast just treat it like a dot.  You don't need the triangle to be as bright as the dot - so on full texas sun days the triangle is a lot easier to see.   I was at the range with a buddy with my 2.5 and his 7.5 - I had my 2.5 maxed out and we could turn down his 7.5 for a very sharp looking triangle.  I may transition my DPPs  to the 7.5.

9 hours ago, ArrDave said:

PResume for a moment that the SRO doesn't have to be sent back as often as the DPP - what's the hassle of being down an optic worth to you?  because it's about $100 more than a DPP presently. 

To the OP's question - if you were to go for the DPP - I bit on the 2.5 MOA dot - if I did it all over again - I think I'd do the 7.5 MOA triangle - zero for the top of the triangle then when you're shooting fast just treat it like a dot.  You don't need the triangle to be as bright as the dot - so on full texas sun days the triangle is a lot easier to see.   I was at the range with a buddy with my 2.5 and his 7.5 - I had my 2.5 maxed out and we could turn down his 7.5 for a very sharp looking triangle.  I may transition my DPPs  to the 7.5.

I'm presuming I won't have to send it back, I will wait awhile and see how reliable they are before I decide to bite.

I have a backup CO rig in case my main rig goes down for any reason. Apparently you like the DPP best , that's all fine, I like them as well, but I like the looks of the SRO better

23 hours ago, ArrDave said:

agree.  2.5 is way too small for Steel Challenge which is what this will be for.  I currently run 12 moa dots currently on all my open guns.  when your average time for a run is around 3 secs, little tiny dots don't cut it ...

Edited by Nimitz

On 5/14/2019 at 12:41 PM, MoRivera said:

I have a Vortex Venom on mine and love it......

image.thumb.png.8ebebc73ee55beb201a353b21264e870.png

I got an extra Shadow slide from CZ Custom milled for the optic, so I switch 'uppers' for when I still shoot Production or SSP in IDPA.

any idea how the FOV compares with the DPP?  How many rounds do you have trough it & any issues?

28 minutes ago, chenault said:

If I have a slide cut for the dpp, are there any other optics that also fit?

I think only one would be. J point.

but I did read one of the vortex dots fit but haven’t been able to confirm that 

reliability is critical for this optic. once I start training with it, it will have to hold up to 2,000- 2,500 rds/month + matches.  How many rds do folks have through these without any issues?

7 minutes ago, Nimitz said:

reliability is critical for this optic. once I start training with it, it will have to hold up to 2,000- 2,500 rds/month + matches.  How many rds do folks have through these without any issues?

The only optic I’ve had which lasted that kind of volume was the Romeo 1 

Below are the ones that I’ve had to send back before 10,000

Rts2

vortex venom

ddp 

im actually giving the dpp another try, but I don’t have high hopes

Edited by chenault

2 hours ago, Nimitz said:

any idea how the FOV compares with the DPP?  How many rounds do you have trough it & any issues?

I think the DPP has a larger field of view, but the Venom's is pretty good.  I'd say a bit better than the RMR.  I've shot about 1200 rounds so far with no problems.

Also, my slide was milled specifically for the Venom by CZ Custom, so instead of the little tabs that fit in the corners it matches up specifically to the front and back of the Venom.  Others may have theirs milled for interchangeable plates too fit different models, but I wanted mine mounted down low and I had good experiences with Venoms before.  Also kept some costs down, obviously.

Edited by MoRivera