Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chernobyl(HBO)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was well done, there was stark realism.  I gather there was some artistic license but still very very good.  I was in West Germany when the incident occurred.  The German authorities were telling the citizens to keep their kids inside.  The US military authorities were telling us not to worry about it.  Radiation make child strong like bull, they said.

Edited by GunBugBit

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:23 AM, Mdooz said:

That was a great docudrama. Working in the industry, I have a big appreciation for how they conveyed the events.

I'll have to watch it then.  I used to be a Navy nuke.

15 hours ago, elguapo said:

I'll have to watch it then.  I used to be a Navy nuke.

Oh cool. You probably understand the nuclear aspect more than me. I'm a chem plant operator.

12 hours ago, Mdooz said:

Oh cool. You probably understand the nuclear aspect more than me. I'm a chem plant operator.

I took some reading to understand the accident as the Chernobyl reactor operates quite differently to the pressurized water reactors that the Navy and much of the industry use.

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

I took some reading to understand the accident as the Chernobyl reactor operates quite differently to the pressurized water reactors that the Navy and much of the industry use.

A'yup!

From what little I was trained on for our nuke plants here in the US....

(I was a journeyman millwright doing the nuke plant refuels and steam turbine retrofits)

Chernobyl was supposed to use graphite (rods) to block or shield the the nuclear "fuel's" radiation.  Also, as I understand it, the Russians were using Chernobyl and whatever other nuke plants of that design to also produce the weapons grade material for their nuclear missiles.

13 hours ago, Mdooz said:

I am in a different industry entirely now.

If you haven't seen it already, you might find the movie Deepwater Horizon interesting since you are a chem plant operator.

The same sort of leadership/management mentality that led to the Deepwater Horizon explosion and Chernobyl incident seems kinda widespread.  Sure...sure...the leadership talks a good game about "safety first", but at the end of the day, it is all about production and making their metrics look good.

6 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

I am in a different industry entirely now.

If you haven't seen it already, you might find the movie Deepwater Horizon interesting since you are a chem plant operator.

The same sort of leadership/management mentality that led to the Deepwater Horizon explosion and Chernobyl incident seems kinda widespread.  Sure...sure...the leadership talks a good game about "safety first", but at the end of the day, it is all about production and making their metrics look good.

Yes I can absolutely agree with the management mentality. It's like that everywhere. Safety is not first, usually.

7 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

Chernobyl was supposed to use graphite (rods) to block or shield the the nuclear "fuel's" radiation.  Also, as I understand it, the Russians were using Chernobyl and whatever other nuke plants of that design to also produce the weapons grade material for their nuclear missiles.

That's not what graphite did in the Chernobyl reactor.  It was a moderator and it made the core behave counter intuitively during some regions of control rod insertion.

As far as it being used to produce weapon grade material I don't know and won't speculate.

15 hours ago, elguapo said:

That's not what graphite did in the Chernobyl reactor.  It was a moderator and it made the core behave counter intuitively during some regions of control rod insertion.

As far as it being used to produce weapon grade material I don't know and won't speculate.

my bad... probably got it confused with the boron rods used here in the States.

10 hours ago, Chills1994 said:

my bad... probably got it confused with the boron rods used here in the States.

The boron rods are the control rods.  Chernobyl had those too.  And they aren't shielding either. 

No offense but working in a nuke plant and understanding reactor physics and reactor control are two completely different things.

11 hours ago, elguapo said:

The boron rods are the control rods.  Chernobyl had those too.  And they aren't shielding either. 

No offense but working in a nuke plant and understanding reactor physics and reactor control are two completely different things.

Hence my disclaimer and that line of "what little I do know" when I first posted in this thread about the graphite rods.

Did I ever say I was an expert?

Nope.

Did I say I went through the Navy's nuclear (sub) program?

Nope.

Edited by Chills1994

The Navy's nuclear program and it's submarine training/force are two completely different and separate things.  

I never served on a sub.  But we do have like a dozen nuclear carriers.

You may just want to stop now.

I was a health physicist and radiation safety officer for a defense contractor, the county of san diego and the UC system. Prior to that nuclear medicine. I enjoyed the show and it made me pull out some of my old textbooks and such.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:20 PM, elguapo said:

The Navy's nuclear program and it's submarine training/force are two completely different and separate things.  

I never served on a sub.  But we do have like a dozen nuclear carriers.

You may just want to stop now.

You must be real fun at parties.

Thought the show was great. No idea how accurate it was, but the scenes with the Russian officials attempting to avoid taking the blame for anything were just fantastic. And now I find myself wanting one of those shirts with the phrase: "3.6 roentgen. Not great. Not terrible."