Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited or Carry Optics for Glock?

JLB-US

1 hour ago, RJH said:

IDK if i am am a high enough class shooter to comment, but even if he asks the local GM, wouldn't he still just be getting that guys opinion?

Yes. But it’d be an opinion from someone with a breadth of experience.

“B class for life” isn’t generally the guy you want to be listening to. And he posts a lot. That was @B_RAD‘s point.

Around here you don’t know if you’re getting advice from a C who started the sport six months ago... or a GM winning <edit: state championships> like @wtturn. I know I’d only bother listening to one of those two guys when it comes to setting up a Glock for competition.

That said, my advice is Carry Optics hands down. A plastic gun is a ton of fun in that division, whereas it’s hard not to feel disadvantaged running polymer in Limited division.

Personally? I still miss irons and might play around in Production a little bit soon. But I’ll openly admit I’m an A-class idiot who doesn’t practice much, and no one should listen to me.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

“B class life” isn’t generally the guy you want to be listening to. And he posts a lot. That was @B_RAD‘s point.

That said, Carry Optics hands down. A plastic gun is a ton of fun in that division, whereas it’s hard not to feel disadvantaged running polymer in Limited division.

He's not wrong!

While I love shooting Glocks in Co, given the choice, I'm choosing a bad to the bone 2011 for Limited. 

56 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Around here you don’t know if you’re getting advice from a C who started the sport six months ago... or a GM winning Area matches like @wtturn. I know I’d only bother listening to one of those guys when it comes to setting up a Glock for competition.

As usual, I agree with your overall point and appreciate the kind words..  

But just for the sake of clarity and correction, I've never won an area match.  

13 minutes ago, wtturn said:

As usual, I agree with your overall point and appreciate the kind words..  

But just for the sake of clarity and correction, I've never won an area match.  

Given the rate at which you’ve been hurting feelings this past year, I don’t think it’s going to be much longer before you move past winning at the state and sectional level.

But that’s good to know. 

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Given the rate at which you’ve been hurting feelings this past year, I don’t think it’s going to be much longer before you move past winning at the state and sectional level.

But that’s good to know. 

That dang Hetherington guy is always showing up!  😵

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

“B class life” isn’t generally the guy you want to be listening to. And he posts a lot. That was @B_RAD‘s point.

Around here you don’t know if you’re getting advice from a C who started the sport six months ago... or a GM winning Area matches like @wtturn. I know I’d only bother listening to one of those guys when it comes to setting up a Glock for competition.

That said, my advice is Carry Optics hands down. A plastic gun is a ton of fun in that division, whereas it’s hard not to feel disadvantaged running polymer in Limited division.

Personally? I still miss irons and might play around in Production a little bit soon. But I’ll openly admit I’m an A-class idiot who doesn’t practice much, and no one should listen to me.

You  got me i am b class life  ( with the exception of sneaking into a class in one division a few years back) that said i tend to shoot pretty well  for a  b classer with a crapper plastic gun. Truth be known the majority of uspsaers are b clAss or there abouts and lack of  practice,  not the blaster keeps us from advancing. 

I will stick with the glock is fine in limited and co, shoot whichever you prefer,  or better yet shoot against the heat in your area

52 minutes ago, RJH said:

You  got me i am b class for life

I tend to shoot pretty well  for a  b classer with a crapper plastic gun.

There is absolutely nothing about a polymer gun that is holding you back. A glock in CO or Production is no obstacle to making A or even GM whatsoever. Not the slightest fraction of one percent.

My skill progression:

1. Shoot a Tanfoglio with every legal modification for a year.

2. Sell it and switch to a polymer gun.

3. Make A-class.

There was a marked increase in dryfire in there somewhere.

You can probably guess where.

The farther up the skill foodchain you get, the more certain you become that equipment/gear  doesn’t really matter much.

46 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

There is absolutely nothing about a polymer gun that is holding you back. A glock in CO or Production is no obstacle to making A or even GM whatsoever. Not the slightest fraction of one percent.

My skill progression:

1. Shoot a Tanfoglio with every legal modification for a year.

2. Sell it and switch to a polymer gun.

3. Make A-class.

There was a marked increase in dryfire in there somewhere.

You can probably guess where.

The farther up the skill foodchain you get, the more certain you become that equipment/gear  doesn’t really matter much.

%100 agree

• 4 weeks later...

I’m in the same boat.  Looking to play around in another division and it would be the same platform......for now.  

Used a a dot for the first time this week while practicing.  That wasn’t so easy.  Haha.  I think the grip angle of the Sig with the Romeo tripped me up a bit.  

Hitting those 25 yard alpha head boxes was pretty fun though.  

• 3 months later...

I carry a Glock at work as well and red dots are not approved. I have a g24 I tricked out with weights, a g34 with dpp (A class CO) and I have a Sti trubor in 38 supercomp. I decided to move forward with the g24 in limited since I want to get good with irons and stick with the Glock. See how it goes and maybe play with my open setup when time allows. Also a lot less tinkering with limited and no dot to worry about breaking. The g24 with weights and a Johnny Glock trigger is really nice to shoot. Feels soft and I have shot some nice 2011’s in 40. I still prefer my g24 but that’s just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, mtwain56 said:

If you carry for work (maybe LE?), why not stick with iron rear sight, and fiber optic front! Shoot same caliber as work gun. If you have to use your work or duty gun wont you be much better with it?

Oh I’d agree,  in my position at this point radiation from excessive emails is more of threat than a firefight with felons. If I was in a different role I might well stay in production.