Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken scope mount screw

jbear29

My zero kept shifting on my Savage .223. I decided to take off the scope to see what was wrong and found both rear mount screws broken off. I got out one of the screws out but the other is flush with the rifle base. I know it has blue loctite but I can heat it to melt it away. What do I do to get the screw out??
I would normally think drill it and use an ez out screw extractor but the diameter of the screw is so small I don't think it will drill. I know someone has had this problem before. Please advise what I need to do to get the screw out without gun damage.

Thanks

The only way I know is to use a cut-off disk in a Dremel and cut a slot in it...  Heat it up and then use a small screwdriver to back it out.

If you don't want to cut into whatever is around the broken screw, it might be time to take it to a gunsmith.

1. Easy-Out

2. Tiny cutoff wheel to make a round-bottomed slot, round-tipped screwdriver.

3. Drill that mother completely out, re-tap hole for larger screws.

I'd push the customer to go for #3 since more than one was broken. If they broke once they'll probably just break again. Time to upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

hopefully you got that sucker out by now but if not a screw extractor is a good option,  if you have access to a drill press.  You need one that is smaller than the screw.  You drill a pilot hole with the drill bit that comes with the set, use a soldering iron to heat up the old loctite, than tap the screw extractor into the hole.  The extractor is left threaded so you turn it counterclockwise, as the extractor is driving into the pilot hole it will thread out the broken screw.  Do not do the extraction step with a drill, do it by hand.  Irwin sells the 2 piece sets in a variety of sizes.  They sell for around 6 bucks for the smaller ones.  You can pick them up at most hardware stores or online. 

They work great.  I have used them many times for busted or stripped screws.