Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone run a 35 in Lim Maj or Open?

nick779

Im just curious if anyone here runs a Glock platform in Open or Limited major. I love CO so far but Major scoring is tempting.

I have no intentions on doing anything for a while, but the thought of running something like a Carver Custom Glock in Open intrigues me.

Heck even going cheap and doing a basic 35 setup with a ported barrel and a slide ride optic might be fun.

I started shooting a Glock 35 in Limited at the beginning of the year.  At first I wasn't honestly so sure how I was going to like it, but now that I've started shooting it a few matches I really have started liking it.  I shot PCC all of last year and my pistol skills went down the crapper.  Yesterday shot a local match and its feeling much more comfortable every time I take it out.

Glock 35 Gen4 :

TTI Sights

Glock Store Big Mouth Magwell - 4oz

NDZ Stainless Guide Rod with 15lb 

Ghost Connector

TTI Basepads (20+1 start, 19 re-loadable)

Also have a KKM 9mm conversion barrel that is working great so far, will put probably 150 through it tomorrow at Steel Challenge practice.

I tried using some of the springs in the Ghost kit and I didn't have any luck with the gun functioning correctly, I think I need a lightened striker if I want to use all the springs.

20 hours ago, RJH said:

Limited sure.  Open, not so much

Its not so much that Id prefer it over Limited, Im just taking a liking to running a dot.

14 hours ago, Novagunner said:

I started with a 35 in Ltd and ran it for a while and then picked up a 2011. I miss the glock so I now play around in production with some 40 minor.  Haven’t messed with an open glock though.

Just curious, do you specifically load to minor? Most factory 180gr ive seen is at ~175pf

I shoot regularly with a guy who uses an open Glock. He has a couple and sometimes runs 9mm and other times 40, both using 17/22 length slides with comps.  They both run reliably, but...

The 9mm really beats the gun up. I think I've seen him crack two 9mm slides in a 15-18 month span.  40 seems a bit easier on the parts, has enough case volume to make a lot of gas, but you're looking at 24 (?) rounds in a big stick?  The slides both cracked under the ejection port just in front of the extractor.

I'm not going to play in open, but if I did it on a Glock I'd probably choose 40sw with 135gr bullets.

i've shot my g35 in limited major.  moved on to sti 1911s for the better trigger and ergo's, but the glocks work.  the prob i've seen with open glocks is you lose the glock reliability factory with a lot of mods to the gun.  if you want a dot, do carry optics with a 17 or 34.

If you like the Glock, I don’t think there is much of a hindrance shooting one in Limited. 

I would skip Open with the Glock. I know someone is going to quote me and say “here’s a video of a guy making Master with a Glock.” Or “mine doesn’t hold me back.” 

I’ve been there, done that, got the T-shirt. IMO, glocks do not belong in Open. 

I will respectfully disagree. But it depends on your goals.

Started with a G35 in  limited major but with old eyes, my arms simply were not be long enough to see the front sight anymore. So added a slide mounted DPP and automatically ended up in open. Added a magwell. Then moved the DPP to a Carver Custom frame mount. Shoot factory ammo. Inexpensive.

Don’t want to spend $3K to $5K getting an STI or other open gun. Don’t reload and not likely to start. Don’t have the time, money or space. Watched several friends do that and would prefer to spend that money elsewhere. Watch the 9mm major guys constantly having issues trying to tune loads, springs, etc. I lose a competitive advantage but have a fully reliable gun. Probably two or three malfunctions in the last year. Total. 

When you get older you are not trying to beat 30 year olds with faster feet, hand and eye coordination, you are just having fun. Or competing against yourself. If you have to use a red dot, you are relegated to either carry optics or open. It doesn’t make sense to waste a G35 in carry optics when there is no major power factor scoring advantage. 

So yes, there is a reason for Glock in open. When you get older you will understand. And you will accept your limitations, physical, vision, competitive and financial. Managing your expectations comes with age or maturity or both. My truly competitive days are behind, as I have crested that hill and am now on the downslope of the far side.

When you retire they say you are on a fixed income. Compared to what I used to make, it is NOT fixed, it’s broken!

20 hours ago, Paul49 said:

I will respectfully disagree. But it depends on your goals.

Started with a G35 in  limited major but with old eyes, my arms simply were not be long enough to see the front sight anymore. So added a slide mounted DPP and automatically ended up in open. Added a magwell. Then moved the DPP to a Carver Custom frame mount. Shoot factory ammo. Inexpensive.

Don’t want to spend $3K to $5K getting an STI or other open gun. Don’t reload and not likely to start. Don’t have the time, money or space. Watched several friends do that and would prefer to spend that money elsewhere. Watch the 9mm major guys constantly having issues trying to tune loads, springs, etc. I lose a competitive advantage but have a fully reliable gun. Probably two or three malfunctions in the last year. Total. 

When you get older you are not trying to beat 30 year olds with faster feet, hand and eye coordination, you are just having fun. Or competing against yourself. If you have to use a red dot, you are relegated to either carry optics or open. It doesn’t make sense to waste a G35 in carry optics when there is no major power factor scoring advantage. 

So yes, there is a reason for Glock in open. When you get older you will understand. And you will accept your limitations, physical, vision, competitive and financial. Managing your expectations comes with age or maturity or both. My truly competitive days are behind, as I have crested that hill and am now on the downslope of the far side.

When you retire they say you are on a fixed income. Compared to what I used to make, it is NOT fixed, it’s broken!

To be fair, this is exactly what I was thinking. 

I know a 2011 is the way to go, but 5-6k is a tough pill to swallow (especially shooting .40). I fully intend on sticking to Carry Optics for a while, but at some point I may want to try Major scoring with a dot. and a Glock build seems to be the most inexpensive way to go. The only issue would be the ammo, but finding Maj PF 40 is much easier and cheaper than Major PF 9mm. It will just be a 180gr load and not a 135/155gr with more powder load.

2 minutes ago, nick779 said:

I know a 2011 is the way to go, but 5-6k is a tough pill to swallow (especially shooting .40).

You can get decent entry level 2011s like an STI Edge for $1500-1700 right here of Enos, if you look for it. Having used a Glock before in Limited for a season, and then switching to a 2011, I really don't think I would have gone the Glock route at all, especially with all the money that went into a Limited Glock.

I've been running a G35 forever in Limited. With a decent trigger, fiber sights and a frame weight it has been very fast and reliable. I trying to transition to a 2011 but between the cost of mags, the safety lever and the different grip angle, its been a challenge. If you don't want to mess with the factory parts when going to open, SJC made a bolt on compensator assembly that you can bolt a red dot onto and shoot open minor. Might be an option if you are curious about Open.  

Im just finishing one, ive done some testing with it..  I really like it so far, extremely accurate and shoots soft.  I added the SJC frame weight and the SJC heavy brass magwell.  Then a full length uncaptured guide rod, dawson sights and trigger goodies.  The trigger is sitting around 2.75 lbs.  Seems to only like federal primers.  But it shoots fast and accurate with no hiccups.  Its kinda a heavy pig tho…  loaded with 20 rounds and the tti basepad its sitting at 57.7 oz..  lol 

Been running a G35 for year without issues. First had a red dot on a dovetail mount and Glockstore compensator on threaded Double Diamond barrel with no spring or RSA changes. Then moved to the Carver Custom frame mount. Glockstore mage well. Tungsten guide rod. No changes in springs, strikers, trigger except 3.5 connector from Glockstore. Never had a hiccup with factory ammo. Never tweaked anything. Just works. And enjoyed putting it together and evolving it.