Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top round nosing forward

1986s4

So the top round in the magazine noses forward under recoil. I have other pistols do this to a small extent but it's never been an issue. But my new SIG P-210 American does it to a greater extent that when trying to drop a partial magazine the mag hangs up and when stripped from the pistol it strips off the top round. I'm pretty sure this isn't unique to the p 210 but it is annoying. Otherwise the pistol is excellent and I want to use it in 2 gun shooting. 

What possible remedies are available? SIG CS is worthless on this issue, I tried. 

More info needed:

When you say "noses foward", do you mean it moves foward in mag, points up, or points down? Could be an OAL issue., or a mag feed lip issue.

Does it do it with all mags, or just one?

And what is OAL of your reloads? Again, could be an OAL issue.

Thank you Bob.

It does this will all mags. The top round slides forward enough to stop the magazine from ejecting, when the mag is removed from the pistol it's enough to strip the top round. 

OAL is 1.15 with 124gr. FMJ

Sounds like a design flaw of the Sig mags, or the way the mags sit in the gun. Like the top round sits to high in the mag, way above the front of the magazine.

I have no experience with Sigs, only 1911/2011 guns. In those guns, you want the front feed lips wider than the rear to facilitate easier feeding from the mag. And the top round can only move foward up to the inside of the front of the mag.

This seems an endemic problem for 9mms.  Short round, short magazine lips.

My P226 will shed a round like that as will Tripp Cobramags in my 1911ish.  I have even had the Tripps strip a round by friction against the magazine carrier. 

But STI and S&W don't. 

I think it has to do with the depth and angle of the feed ramp, not something easy to adjust.

I guess you could learn the Cooper Reload (As distinct from the IDPA slidelock reload with gun completely empty and the USPSA speedload discarding ammo.)

Jeff Cooper said you should be able to count rounds and reload with a round in the chamber, none in the magazine.