Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Blackstone45

Shadow 1 - removing firing pin for dryfire

Possible stupid question incoming: If I know I'll be doing a lot of dryfiring and no live fire for a decent length of time, would it make sense to remove the firing pin in order to prolong its life?

No. If you are really worried about it you can wedge an o-ring in the hammer channel. That's really only needed with a CZ that includes the firing pin block though.

You can but I don’t think it’s gonna hurt the firing pin. I’ve dryfired my shadows probably 100k times and it still works fine.

If the hammer has nothing to strike, it will just continue to peen the rear of the slide. Using half of a used foam earplug is the easiest solution.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I've done my share of dry fire but no issues on my pistols yet.

If you reload, make a dummy round and squeeze hot glue or silicone into the primer pocket.

if you don't reload, grab one of your spent cases,  use a small nail and tap out the old primer, clean out the old carbon from the pocket and fill with hot glue or silicone.

or order some Azooms from Amazon or your fav LGS.

The firing pin has to be in the slide to hold in the firing pin stop plate. Without either of those two parts the hammer will hit the frame.

You can shorten a firing pin about a quarter of an inch,  can't fire anything and will hold all the parts in the proper place.

+1 to the foam ear plug. Should absorb almost all the impact onto the firing pin, even better than an o-ring. But without the firing pin block it is hardly necessary. 

On 5/13/2019 at 1:49 PM, 858 said:

The firing pin has to be in the slide to hold in the firing pin stop plate. Without either of those two parts the hammer will hit the frame.

This is a good point that i did not think of, if the slide were racked without the FP installed the FP plate may very well fall out.

Here is a reference pic for the O ring that was suggested by other forum members above.

EIXMaFy.jpg

13 hours ago, Tok36 said:

This is a good point that i did not think of, if the slide were racked without the FP installed the FP plate may very well fall out.

Here is a reference pic for the O ring that was suggested by other forum members above.

EIXMaFy.jpg

Will try that, thanks