Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Austjoe

Powder for 38 supper

What is a good alternative to 3n38 Vihtavuori 

Posted (edited)

Try Shooters World Major Pistol powder.  It is slower than 3N38 and almost half the price.  I bout 3 4 lb jugs of 3N38 during the shortage because I knew I was going to load 9mm major when I finished the pistol.  I opened one jug a took 9.4gr out to put in a 9mm case.  I was told that was the minimum to make major with a 115.  Not all of it fit unless I put some in, tamped and repeated a couple of times.  There was no way I was willing to put up with that, so I poured it back in the bottle and they sit they today.

I've used WAC, Silhouette, HS-6 and N340.  Major Pistol blows them all away.  Super clean, little spillage and compressible if you need to.  I know 38 Super guys just love 3N38, but if you can't find it, try MP.  I'd offer to sell you my 3N38, but I can't ship it.

Added later:  Grafs & Sons has it back in stock and on sale for $135/8 lb.  They also have CCI primers on sale.  Flat 9.95 shipping and 12.50 hazmat.

Edited by zzt

Before I rebarreled to 9mm, I used N350. But you’d probably have the same issue getting it as 3N38. I bought 10# of Major Pistol last month, and am liking it. AA7 works well too. HS6 is always available, kinda like the Unique of open powders. 

Does anyone have a good recipe for 38SC with 3n38 out of ck with KKM barrel. 3 poppies with comp? I’ve tried a few 125 fmj with 9.5 - 10grains 3n38. Shoots pretty decent but willing to try other loads. 

10,2gr with 3N38 and a 124 FMJ gave good results, could not see difference from this load and 10,4gr SP2.
11gr N105 was a tad flatter but the powder cost a lot more since it only comes in small cans.