Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Clay Challenge

I guess this might be a place to start. I belong to a small trap club that has been around for 75 years and lately we have been loosing members literally due to age.  And it has been a challenge to bring in new members I think because of the area I live is not really big on shooting.  So I had this idea of putting on a fun shoot for a day and make a little money for the club.  So I took all of the steel props I have ( poppers, plates, texas star, swingers and clay throwers) and drew up several stages. Well it was a huge success I mean these guys have never shot anything like this before. I have trip wires hooked up to poppers and such that activate clay birds and rabbits and teals. So it was such a big success that we did a few more.  And last week I did my first one for this year and everyone again had a blast,  Now yesterday one of the guys from the club comes up to me and says that if anyone gets hurt during one of these things that I run using all of my props I will get my ass sued off.  Well now its not anymore fun for me so my question is how much of my ass is on the line if someone gets hurt.  All I am trying to do is keep our club going and having a little fun in the process.

anyone can sue anyone for any reason,, get liability insurance. Only worthwhile legal advice I can give is talk to NRA legal team and or get a lawyer and ask them. 
I can give you a tip for growing your club,,, adopt a 180 rule, and a sweeping (ESPECIALLY of other people) rule then ENFORCE it.
3 guns, USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, or anyone else gonna spend about 5 minutes around your typical shotgun crowd before they haul butt and never return. ATROCIOUS gun handling .

Maybe you could delete some of the activators/moving targets, and just focus on something similar to Steel Challenge or Metal Madness. Delete shotguns... go to straight steel targets. What shooter doesn't love the old timey carnival shooting booth? Bang/ting/fun! Allow rimfire rifles/handguns along Steel Challenge rules (with similar centerfire rules). Shooters, especially older shooters that can't run fast enough to score well in USPSA, like to be able to just shoot (it's also a great way to bring younger shooters, teens with parents) into the shooting sports. Age may decrease competitive ability, but not necessarily competitive desire. And, they have the money and time to support the club.

At my club, Steel Challenge brings in more money to the club coffers ... on a monthly/yearly basis... than ALL other action shooting matches (cowboy, IDPA, etc.) COMBINED!  As well, a number of former clay target shooters who have found shotgun recoil and advancing age are not a good combination, have bought .22 pistols & rifles. They still get to compete... just without the punishment.

Just a thought.

Edited by GOF

10 hours ago, gunner40sw said:

I guess this might be a place to start. I belong to a small trap club that has been around for 75 years and lately we have been loosing members literally due to age.  And it has been a challenge to bring in new members I think because of the area I live is not really big on shooting.  So I had this idea of putting on a fun shoot for a day and make a little money for the club.  So I took all of the steel props I have ( poppers, plates, texas star, swingers and clay throwers) and drew up several stages. Well it was a huge success I mean these guys have never shot anything like this before. I have trip wires hooked up to poppers and such that activate clay birds and rabbits and teals. So it was such a big success that we did a few more.  And last week I did my first one for this year and everyone again had a blast,  Now yesterday one of the guys from the club comes up to me and says that if anyone gets hurt during one of these things that I run using all of my props I will get my ass sued off.  Well now its not anymore fun for me so my question is how much of my ass is on the line if someone gets hurt.  All I am trying to do is keep our club going and having a little fun in the process.

If you pm me your phone number or email I can send you a picture of the standard waiver that pretty much every club uses for any type of action match. Have everyone sign one as a good place to start. Also take the above advice of calling the NRA they are extremely helpful with this kind of stuff.