Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MBX 9mm mags??

TANFARM

Anyone replace MBX guts with Grams springs and followers?.....Good, Bad..

no difference?......Do you tune your match mags.

I have recently started having intermittent hand ups at the top of my mags ...both practice and match mags....there is no consistent factor I can figure out??

Thanks

I use grams guts exclusively, they just work.. Always tune your feed lips to proper specs for reliability.. Atlas gunworks has great running vid on there YouTube Chanel.. 

2 hours ago, TANFARM said:

I have recently started having intermittent hand ups at the top of my mags ...both practice and match mags....there is no consistent factor I can figure out??

Thanks

I feel like it’s probably your ammo that’s the problem.

Joe H.    Been running 124 RMR RN and HP to essentially the same specs for a couple of years. 1.165 COL.....I’m wondering if it’s a mag body problem binding up at the top of the mags???....puzzled...was a very costly problem last Saturday!!

Joe, what generation are your mags and followers?  Here is what I've found with all of my MBX 9mm mags.  All are Gen2.  The 170 has a Gen 1 follower.  The 155s all have Gen 2 followers, but I have used Gen 1 in them and they work fine.

Two things you absolutely must do to condition your new mags:  1.  if using a Gen 2 follower, bend the follower to the side to flatten it out some.  They come quite slanted from the factory, and will not drop free if you shoot them empty.  The follower pushes up against the slide and the mag hangs.  Flattening out the follower without removing any material solves that problem, and get you one more reloadable round.

2.  condition the springs.  Load the mag fully and let it sit for a week.  Then try to get another round in.  Eventually you will be able to.  After two weeks everything will be fine.

I load to 1.161" and the bullets hit halfway up the feed ramp.  Feed lips are in the .350" to .355" range.  If you go wider than that you have feed problems.

I change the guts twice per season. More often if they bind up on an individual basis. My mags and guts are all gen 2. I haven’t had to mess with the followers and would recommend not messing with anything. I wouldn’t even mess with the feed lips on mags you plan to use for an important match. If you read the instructions that come with the mags, they tell you to fully load them 6-8 times before even using them in the gun. I would do this with new springs and followers too.

The following is what I do, not recommended by MBX: once per month, and as needed after a muddy match, for example, I take them all apart, brush them out after spraying them through with CRC QD electronic cleaner followed by a spray of liquid wrench Teflon spray and run an Everglades Mag Rag through. 

I’m running Montana Gold 124 JHP to 1.160-1.165. 

The ammo is the thing that is always at least a little different in some way, even with new brass.  The mags are still the same for the most part, but undoubtedly will change to some degree after hitting the deck X number of times, and there’s probably no way to figure out in what way it’s changed, so in my opinion, if they still don’t work after the above and a guts change, they become practice mags.

open is expensive, what can I say. Can’t just toss them like ETS Glock mags for PCC, 😂

disclaimer: I am by no means an expert, this has just been my experience so far in dealing with 9mm Open mags.

11 hours ago, TANFARM said:

Thanks

FWIW, Beven does not recommend using his springs and followers in a MBX tube...

I've put in 13 coil and followers in my Gen2 170 and 155mm mags. The 170 cadillacs, but the 155 isn't reliable. Not sure why, mags lips are good. Probaley need to cut one coil off. Going to do the 140s at first sign of spring tiredness. I have Grams in my Tanfo mags used for CO and never have problems,,,

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2019 at 10:14 AM, Silverscooby27 said:

I use all MBX guts with my MBX mags to MBX specs. And they all work great. Like MBX intended them to. MBX recommends feed lips to .345 to .355, NOT going beyond .360 to .365, and OAL from 1.165 to 1.175. I hope this info is helpful.

+1