Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
nickforney

I went ahead and got DQ'd today

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, nick779 said:

 I didnt sweep though.

 

Huge difference.

 

No problem picking up your mag - HUGE problem sweeping.     :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

 

Huge difference.

 

No problem picking up your mag - HUGE problem sweeping.     :) 

 

For some reason I thought that if you did anything in between hammer down and holster it was a DQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nick779 said:

 

For some reason I thought that if you did anything in between hammer down and holster it was a DQ.

nope, you can do other stuff, just don't the gun at yourself or anyone else while doing so.

 

picking up a magazine is fine. Pointing a gun at yourself while doing so is not fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And even if you don't sweep anyone, a muzzle can get pointed back beyond the 180 between your feet. 

Saw it. Watched the RO break the unfortunate news to the shooter. I felt bad for both of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, regor said:

Interesting, in my head I thought this was not allowed, but under 8.6.1 safety warnings are specifically allowed by any RO at any time and do not count as interference. Always good to reread the rule book! 

 

Nope!

 

With newcomers many of us believe it’s best to proactively warn them - to reduce how much it’ll trip them up, we often do our best as we walk through the stage to say things like

 

Make sure to keep the gun indexed FAR away from your offhand as it reaches to open this door. If you forget we’ll try to warn you verbally before you sweep your hand.”

 

Or a second example:

 

Focus on keeping the gun pointed somewhere safe as you back up and come around the end of this wall. If you look like you’re rotating toward an infraction, whichever of us is running you will yell MUZZLE! ... It is not a big deal, just twist the gun more downrange and continue with your run.”

 

To put it simply, it is helpful ROing for a brand new shooter to get a safety reminder as the approach a safety infraction.

 

Veteran shooters - including myself - do not want such reminders. Often the most efficient manner to maneuver yourself might involve pumping your arm hard with the gun held along the 169.78 degree line. (I prefer to index the gun much closer to the back berm but in rare instances you have push it a bit)

 

If you’ve been doing this a while you’re focused on being both fast and safe in such a situation. Barking things at a man already mindful of exactly what you’re seeing is a needless distraction. I don’t want a backseat driver tagging along for my run distracting me. If I mess up... yell stop, and I’ll own it. Otherwise, leave me be and let me concentrate on the movement and my sights.

 

 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nick779 said:

 

For some reason I thought that if you did anything in between hammer down and holster it was a DQ.

 

There's a whole chapter (10.3) on what constitutes a DQ.  Good reading, especially before you get DQ'd.  🚫

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

 

Nope!

 

With newcomers many of us believe it’s best to proactively warn them - to reduce how much it’ll trip them up, we often do our best as we walk through the stage to say things like

 

Yup, I am in agreement and do the same thing when I am ROing a new shooter and the stage has a turning start, door, cord activated window, or some other feature that is a common source of DQs. I was just not aware that the rules allowed issuing such safety commands during the COF like your original example. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Common trend in Ankeny this week! I caught my first DQ last week out there as well. Got stuck in trigger guard and sent one over the birm reloading trying to go fast. Made some changes in dryfire and I think I have it cleaned up.

 

That said, it happens. I’m glad no one got hurt (your ego may be bruised, mine was 🤷🏻‍♂️) Like others said, you handled it well. It’s all you can do - Own it and move on..learn from it.  I hope you can get down and shoot with us again soon!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2019 at 10:23 PM, Rosswoodford said:

Common trend in Ankeny this week! I caught my first DQ last week out there as well. Got stuck in trigger guard and sent one over the birm reloading trying to go fast. Made some changes in dryfire and I think I have it cleaned up.

 

That said, it happens. I’m glad no one got hurt (your ego may be bruised, mine was 🤷🏻‍♂️) Like others said, you handled it well. It’s all you can do - Own it and move on..learn from it.  I hope you can get down and shoot with us again soon!

I will be down for business sometime in the near future and I think I will try to schedule around making one of your weekly shoots.  I am attending a beginner class this weekend followed by a match on sunday so I shall be sure to work on my safety game.  Sadly I was out of town all week for work so I haven't handled my gun since last sunday.

Edited by nickforney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nickforney said:

I will be down for business sometime in the near future and I think I will try to schedule around making one of your weekly shoots.  I am attending a beginner class this weekend followed by a match on sunday so I shall be sure to work on my safety game.  Sadly I was out of town all week for work so I haven't handled my gun since last sunday.

Happens Man! Who are you taking your intro class with? SSV concepts is excellent and local if you’re not committed yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rosswoodford said:

Happens Man! Who are you taking your intro class with? SSV concepts is excellent and local if you’re not committed yet.

I know Rick and talked to Ben during my very short stint as a new uspsa shooter at ikes.  The Sioux Falls practical shooters is putting on a free class.  I am dragging out my dad and a guy who enjoys shooting for work.  Sadly dad can't do the shoot the sunday following but I am hoping the old fart from work can.  I think I will come down and support ssv when the competition class goes on I am sure to learn a pile of things.  Sadly I have had a pretty substantial list of training almost entirely with rifles but also for cqb with hands and pistol.  That is why this was a double dose of doh for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nickforney said:

I know Rick and talked to Ben during my very short stint as a new uspsa shooter at ikes.  

That’s awesome. Ben is a good friend of mine and an excellent teacher. You won’t regret it, just keep it up man! I wish NW IA had a club. I’m from there originally.

 

Speaking of,  I host a charity 2 gun match that benefits Special Youth Challenge and the Clay Co 4H Shooting Sports Chapter the last Saturday of every July. You should come. Its just north of Sioux Rapids off of HWY 71.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rosswoodford said:

That’s awesome. Ben is a good friend of mine and an excellent teacher. You won’t regret it, just keep it up man! I wish NW IA had a club. I’m from there originally.

 

Speaking of,  I host a charity 2 gun match that benefits Special Youth Challenge and the Clay Co 4H Shooting Sports Chapter the last Saturday of every July. You should come. Its just north of Sioux Rapids off of HWY 71.

Sadly there was last fall.  The indoor range that it was hosted at closed down expectantly.  This was what prompted me to buy a proper holster/pouches but they closed up shop.  Supposedly they formerly shot around peterson.  The only good point was I got a loaded 1050 from the shop for a steal as they were doing a fire sale.  I will try and remember  about your 2 gun match can you message me any more information about it so I can hopefully attend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little things we miss. LOL

 

Gotta be glad for the safety aspect though. Would be even worse day if you had an AD and got yourself, or someone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot my first uspsa match yesterday. I was super worried about 180 violations. I’m left handed so I shoot stages in reverse whenever possible. 

 

Our RO’s were awesome yesterday. They were warm and kind and spent a lot of time helping shooters avoid potential problems BEFORE they manifested themselves. 

 

We we had a classier with two

shooting boxes at 45 degrees with reloads between boxes. The RO mentioned to be very careful. It worried me bad enough that I actually dumped mag and reloaded in box before the weak side transition. 

 

Sadly, we had a guy pushing hard for

time that broke 180 by ton. The RO really felt bad about the DQ but it wasn’t close at all. The shooter was both an adult and a gentleman about it. He even asked the RO

permission to stay me help

paste and reset steel. Just a class act. 

 

The worst was listening to him explain to his young  why he got DQ’d and was no longer shooting.  He owned it and told him “because Dad broke a very serious safety rule.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two weekends ago I watch a cop DQ himself for breaking the 180 during a reload then be a dick about it.  Yammering about how his swat training made him reload the way he did and then loudly announcing that since couldn't shoot he was leaving.

 

I don't think he will be missed.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Two weekends ago I watch a cop DQ himself for breaking the 180 during a reload then be a dick about it.  Yammering about how his swat training made him reload the way he did and then loudly announcing that since couldn't shoot he was leaving.
 
I don't think he will be missed.........
did he cry about it??

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

did he cry about it?? emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
 

 

Don't know...…..guys like that get ignored quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Zoomie517 said:

The worst was listening to him explain to his young  why he got DQ’d and was no longer shooting.  He owned it and told him “because Dad broke a very serious safety rule.”

 

I disagree, because this was the BEST thing to happen. Not only was this a lesson for the shooter but ALSO for the child. As a parent, I never pass up an opportunity at a life lesson. I think it was great that the child was there and learned a very valuable lesson, even at the expense of the father. If I were the father, I would be upset about having my day end early but I would be more proud and happy if I saw that my son or daughter learned from the experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

 

I disagree, because this was the BEST thing to happen. Not only was this a lesson for the shooter but ALSO for the child. As a parent, I never pass up an opportunity at a life lesson. I think it was great that the child was there and learned a very valuable lesson, even at the expense of the father. If I were the father, I would be upset about having my day end early but I would be more proud and happy if I saw that my son or daughter learned from the experience. 

 

Oh I completely agree. I meant heart-breaking. I thought it was awesome that he explained it with heart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also been DQ'd at a match and was only upset with myself. The rules are there to keep us all safe, though we might feel a bit emarassed after we do something like that. However, as a not so funny story.... At one match a guy was facing down range and wa shooting. He turned 180-degrees and ran back towards all of us waiting to shoot with gun pointed at us. He did not get DQ'd. So, good job on the RO on that stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...