Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0 in production division?

allamericanbp

Looking for some input from the masses. I started shooting Limited Major with a PRO with an Apex and magwell added before switching over to a 2011 setup. I am wanting to get into production and was kicking around the idea of running my 2.0. Does that seem like a logical idea or would I be better off going with a metal gun CZ/Tanfo, etc. I know the metal gun makes a difference when it comes to getting back on target faster, etc. Any input is appreciated.

It just depends on what you want to do in my opinion.  If you want to win at all costs you should probably go with the metal gun.  It seems pretty obvious at this point that CZs and tanfos are better for USPSA production, but depending on how good you are it probably won't make that much of a difference vs shooting a long slide glock or M&P.  Just look at David Sevigny and Robert Vogel, two of the best shooters in the country.  They've won a lot of stuff using glocks, and the m&p is more or less the same thing (I know people will step in and blast me for saying that).

It'll probably take a little more work to be as good with an M&P as you would've been with CZ or tanfo, even with learning the first shot DA pull on the DA/SA guns.  If you just enjoy m&p's for some reason, I'd say shoot those.  If you've shot 2011's you probably know what you prefer.  I have very little experience with the DA/SA guns, but they seem basically like lighter, less tricked out 2011's after the first shot.

Me, I've accepted that B class will probably be my ceiling, I have a bunch of M&P's and the tools/gear for them, so I'll stick with them.  Shooting in USPSA with them is kind of like taking a ford taurus to the drag strip, but sometimes that can still be fun.  As the old cliche goes, it's the indian not the arrow though. I think you could be very competitive with either in local matches with enough dedication.

I don't think you'd even be asking this unless you enjoy M&P's, or you have one as an EDC or something.  If so I say just shoot it for fun in production.  If you wanna game hard just shoot the 2011.

Edited by narwhal

I go back and forth between my Performance Center 9L and my CZ shadow 2. All above statements are right on, I'm going to start using my M&P more in steel matches and stick with the CZ for USPSA.

Single shot speed shooting is easier with my M&P, I have the apex forward set sear trigger package in it and it's amazingly fast.

It is more difficult (for me anyway at this stage of my evolution) to hit double taps with it as accurately as I do with the CZ,  that is the shooter though (me).

Edited by kmanick

On 5/11/2019 at 6:44 PM, narwhal said:

It just depends on what you want to do in my opinion.  If you want to win at all costs you should probably go with the metal gun.  It seems pretty obvious at this point that CZs and tanfos are better for USPSA production, but depending on how good you are it probably won't make that much of a difference vs shooting a long slide glock or M&P.  Just look at David Sevigny and Robert Vogel, two of the best shooters in the country.  They've won a lot of stuff using glocks, and the m&p is more or less the same thing (I know people will step in and blast me for saying that).

It'll probably take a little more work to be as good with an M&P as you would've been with CZ or tanfo, even with learning the first shot DA pull on the DA/SA guns.  If you just enjoy m&p's for some reason, I'd say shoot those.  If you've shot 2011's you probably know what you prefer.  I have very little experience with the DA/SA guns, but they seem basically like lighter, less tricked out 2011's after the first shot.

Me, I've accepted that B class will probably be my ceiling, I have a bunch of M&P's and the tools/gear for them, so I'll stick with them.  Shooting in USPSA with them is kind of like taking a ford taurus to the drag strip, but sometimes that can still be fun.  As the old cliche goes, it's the indian not the arrow though. I think you could be very competitive with either in local matches with enough dedication.

I don't think you'd even be asking this unless you enjoy M&P's, or you have one as an EDC or something.  If so I say just shoot it for fun in production.  If you wanna game hard just shoot the 2011.

Awesome post! I do enjoy shooting the 2.0 in certain disciplines (TPC, LE Matches, etc.) I will most likely stick with it for those circumstances. But, of course, as the next day there is a race ready TANFO for sale that is set up for production :( and of course there I go. But I do know that it will be a good gun to shoot to get me above my current level. My initial classification with 4 stages in production was about 70% or so with the 2.0. I guess it can only go up from there. Either way, i appreciate the advice and I will keep up on here and take all that I can get. 

On 5/12/2019 at 1:44 PM, kmanick said:

I go back and forth between my Performance Center 9L and my CZ shadow 2. All above statements are right on, I'm going to start using my M&P more in steel matches and stick with the CZ for USPSA.

Single shot speed shooting is easier with my M&P, I have the apex forward set sear trigger package in it and it's amazingly fast.

It is more difficult (for me anyway at this stage of my evolution) to hit double taps with it as accurately as I do with the CZ,  that is the shooter though (me).

That makes sense and I will probably do the same. The 2.0 is just more fun to shoot than other guns. It seems to shoot great stock. I will definitely use it for LE type matches. 

I shot a USPSA match last week with a "M" class shooter in CO that was using the exact same M&P I own with the same JPOINT sight on it.

He smoked almost the entire field with it.

Exactly....I think as long as you accept the pistol's limitations you can do great things with it.  You aren't going to have the fastest split times or the most a's on 25+ yard targets compared to an equally skilled cz/tanfo shooter. I feel like the light guns do draw/point a bit faster though, and it's second only to glock in terms of holster/sight/accessory choices.  I do enjoy the reliability of the M&P too, and can get away with rarely cleaning them.  The most fun competitive shooting I've had so far is shooting an m&p compact for a few months in IDPA ccp with .40 minor bunny farts, managed to classify expert with it (I know, I know, IDPA).

Edited by narwhal

If this comes across as blunt I do not mean it too.

As long as you are comfortable with the gun you can be competitive with it. Shooting is shooting. My M&P is plenty accurate with A zones at 20+ yards and I split my stock 1.0 Production gun faster than some GMs with their 2011s, while yes I have an naturally pretty quick trigger finger that further gets to my point.

Indian not arrow.

I also currently shoot a M&P40 in Limited and it is working great. This is also my first Apex kit and I kinda get why people love them.

• 2 weeks later...

Why spend money on a new setup when you can use that money to be a better shooter by getting more practice in. There are plenty of Masters and GM's that made it there with polymer guns.

• 2 weeks later...

If you like the M&P I honestly don't think it will hold you back at all. I started with a Glock 34, then went to SS, then I got 2 Stock ll this year. A few weeks ago I took the Glock out to run Accelerator alongside the Tanfo and there was no discernible difference in time or hits. If Anything, I am faster with the Glock at gun handling and I can shoot it just as accurately as the Tanfo. Sometimes I kick myself for not just buying a lot of ammo but I just don't like the Glock all that much and the Tanfo makes me want to practice. 

• 4 weeks later...

My 13 year old son is currently shooting a M&P 5" in production and I am wondering what else I can do to upgrade the gun. I THINK I have it about as far as it can go with a sweet Apex trigger job,  tuned springs, and Dawson sights.  Anything else folks would recommend?

If you shoot the 5” do you have to start with the safety engaged? I heard/saw/read something that said in USPSA production that if the gun had a safety, you had to start from the draw with the safety on. Can someone clarify?

If you shoot the 5” do you have to start with the safety engaged? I heard/saw/read something that said in USPSA production that if the gun had a safety, you had to start from the draw with the safety on. Can someone clarify?
No.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

BA39FCD5-1E36-4804-A656-896571BBBCD8.thumb.jpeg.96ac2e4b04085467102ce025baf29e92.jpeg

If you are mainly a 2011 shooter, you will probalby sweep the safety on the draw whether it is there or not, so i am not really sure it matters for the OP as to whether the safety is engaged or not.  I am certainly not any slower with a 19/2011 out of a holster than I am a glock or anything without a thumb safety.