Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In jacketed bullets, why JHP vs non?

philipsinewe

Most  JHP HAVE slightly hollowed out bases which tend to improve accuracy though that’s not really critical in our games.

JHP Also tend to have longer bearing surfaces which also tend to improve accuracy but I like the fact it helps me load longer for Open.

They make cleaner cut holes in cardboard.

One of the biggest factors for me is I only load 9MAJOR with JHP and anything minor I only use round nose. This makes it virtually impossible to mistake one for the other.

16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Most  JHP HAVE slightly hollowed out bases which tend to improve accuracy though that’s not really critical in our games.

JHP Also tend to have longer bearing surfaces which also tend to improve accuracy but I like the fact it helps me load longer for Open.

They make cleaner cut holes in cardboard.

One of the biggest factors for me is I only load 9MAJOR with JHP and anything minor I only use round nose. This makes it virtually impossible to mistake one for the other.

Any major downsides in using RN fmj exposed lead bottom for major?

Few JHP in my experience have slightly hollowed out bases. Zeros are the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

philipsinewe, you're right about exposed lead and compensators. A JHP bullet has no exposed lead at the base and thus no lead from the bottom of the bullet is vaporized when fired. Vaporized lead from FMJ bullets with exposed bases will gradually build up in compensators, so most folks with compensators prefer the JHP bullets for this reason. 

JHP and flat nosed jacketed bullets have a good reputation for accuracy, and in general, tend to shoot more accurately than round nose bullets. Of course there are exceptions to this and it usually depends on which specific bullet one is referring to. 

2 hours ago, superdude said:

Few JHP in my experience have slightly hollowed out bases. Zeros are the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

philipsinewe, you're right about exposed lead and compensators. A JHP bullet has no exposed lead at the base and thus no lead from the bottom of the bullet is vaporized when fired. Vaporized lead from FMJ bullets with exposed bases will gradually build up in compensators, so most folks with compensators prefer the JHP bullets for this reason. 

JHP and flat nosed jacketed bullets have a good reputation for accuracy, and in general, tend to shoot more accurately than round nose bullets. Of course there are exceptions to this and it usually depends on which specific bullet one is referring to. 

MG and PD JHP’s both have recessed/concave/hollowed out bases. I’m sure there are others as well

Even With roundnose bullets in minor I don’t use FMJ’s. I prefer MG CMJ’s since the lead base is covered

On 5/11/2019 at 10:19 AM, je85 said:

Any major downsides in using RN fmj exposed lead bottom for major?

It takes a while, but the lead bottoms will eventually lead up your comp - and that's

a lot of work to remove.

Some people spray their comps before each shooting session, and then try to wipe

the lead out each day - for us lazy bums, that's way too much work.   I use copper

bottomed bullets and relax after a match.    :) 

I only shoot JHPs out of my Open gun for both minor and major.  So far my favorite is the 115 HAP.  It is a tack driver.

If I had a regular 9mm gun, I'd still use JHPs or good plated (like Rainier).  

Phil, for your CO guns, I like Blue Bullets. They smoked less for me than other coated bullets. Sport Pistol is the new hotness powder for coated bullets these days. Not much to be saved with plated bullets vs. jacketed when you buy 2000 or more from Precision Delta. Congrats on the 650, you’ll love it. I’ll give you some tips I’ve learned about mine tomorrow. 

Bob

12 hours ago, EEH said:

According to their web site they have already closed 

Bummer.  They were the best.  I only have 2000 left, so I'll have to hoard them for when super accuracy is required.  I'll also have to renew a search for  accurate poly coated bullets.  The original Falcons and Precision Gen 1 bullets were great, but no longer available.  Nothing else I've tried comes close.  Now that Dardas has retired, I'll have to hunt for bullseye accurate 45 ACP heads.  

Edited by zzt