Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fault Line Lengths, Transportation, and Storage

I've just picked up a bunch of 2x2x8 wood to use for Fault Lines at my club (for USPSA). I plan to drill 1/2" holes on either end, then stake down. Pretty simple and standard. My concern with them is storage and transportation to and from the berms. We store everything in a conex box that is less than 100 yards from the farthest berm. We don't have a trailer deal like I've seen at other clubs - just a wagon that we can normally throw enough props on for one berm and drag on over.

Since dragging a large field course worth of fault lines would be a fairly arduous task, I am looking for some ideas on transporting them. I had initially considered getting a dolly, attaching a barrel to it, and leaving all of the fault line boards in that and wheeling it from place to place. But I don't think the 8-foot boards sticking up would be feasible for storing in the box. If I wanted to marry myself to that idea, I could cut them all down to 4-foot sections (to avoid waste), but that would also double the required staking.

What are some options/suggestions for a less-equipment-blessed club?

I leave them in the bays in a designated area. They’re cheap and last quite a while. When one warps it becomes a shorter fault line. Ive been using the same fault lines for about 3 years now.  You’re going to want some 4 foot sections too. We also have multiple trucks and a road that traverses behind the bays. Start at one end fill a truck and then head to the staging area. 

paint the fault lines with something good to resist weather. cut them to 4' lengths instead of leaving them 8'. cut the top off a blue plastic barrel or three and put them in there. use a hand truck/dolly with the fatter tires on it to take them back and forth.

any way you could leave them in said barrels actually on the bays year round with a "do not use/not target sticks" sign on them?

Edited by rowdyb

Maybe I will fill a barrel with 4' lengths and get a dolly, seems like one of the best bets to me. Can see if the extra staking required for using only 4' lengths is too much of a hassle or not - it's not like 2x2's are terribly expensive I suppose.

Leaving them on the bays would be a no go. The old crotchety dudes at the club would gripe about it. Not to mention I'd be concerned at how quickly they'd wear/rot. Especially considering the bonkers weather we've been having up here.

In Arkansas where it gets 70+ inches of rain a year, constantly humid and goes from 20 degrees to 90 degrees during the year we just left them outside full time with no ill effect. For years. They can almost be considered a consumable for a club, not a hard to replace resource.

I'd also try working on the concerns the crusty old dudes, who seemingly are at every club, have and if they could be worked out.

1 hour ago, Barcode1337 said:

Leaving them on the bays would be a no go. The old crotchety dudes at the club would gripe about it.

Those guys are the WORST! LOL:eatdrink:

Maybe build or buy some large boxes like deck boxes and put one on each bay you use for matches. Lock them up and only give access to trusted match shooters. You could put fault lines, target sticks, nails, stands etc if you build them big enough.

leave em in the bay, I imagine they would get shot all to pieces as target stands. 
If you dont have motor vehicle access,  few square tall kitchen trashcans. They could be easily cargo strapped to a hand truck and wheeled to the bays.