Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Canman

Help making major power factor with 155gn cast.

4.5” barrel XDM 40.  Looking for some load data. 

Most popular seems to be heavier bullets with fast powder - 155 is on the light side.

That’s what I’ve noticed also. Might go a different route.

My CZ TS did not care much for 155s at major.  However, 180s and 165s were terrific.  I mostly shot e3 under 180s, but later preferred the 165s for the faster slide action.  N340 is a superb powder for driving the lighter weights to major.

5.7-5.8gr W231 @ 1.125" COAL under an Acme 155gr RN-SWC is a major PF recipe I have for my XDm 5.25".

At 6.0gr W231, it chrono'd at 1165 FPS or 180 PF.

If your shorter barrel results in 50 FPS lower velocity, 6.0gr may be about perfect for an approx 172 PF load.

FYI, I haven't chrono'd the 5.7-5.8gr... decided to go another route before getting any further.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As ZZT said N340 would be a great powder to use. I use it exclusively for all my .40 major loads with 165gr bullets. They show 155gr load data on their website for a Rainier FP bullet. Starting load is 6.3gr Max load is 6.6gr at 1.126 OAL. 

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/handgun-reloading/?cartridge=44

1 hour ago, bjones6686 said:

Starting load is 6.3gr Max load is 6.6gr at 1.126 OAL. 

Wow !!

That is an exceedingly small range - if optimum is 6.5 and 6.7 is dangerous,

that seems to be cutting it a little close ???   Especially with the variance

of powder throws, OAL's and bullet weights.

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Wow !!

That is an exceedingly small range - if optimum is 6.5 and 6.7 is dangerous,

that seems to be cutting it a little close ???   Especially with the variance

of powder throws, OAL's and bullet weights.

On that web site just about all bullets and all powders have a 0.2 - 0.3 grain difference between min and max at the OAL they are listing.

Also, none of the listed bullets are CAST. So, the starting powder would be even less I think.

I used N340 for 40 open. 6.9 gr under a Rainier 135 FP. No issues or pressure signs.

Yeah I started less then they advertised since I was doing coated lead 165gr bullets. If I used the minimum 6.3gr of powder with a 165gr coated lead bullet at 1.175 OAL I made 192PF out of my SSTK and Limited guns. Dropped the powder charge down to 5.8gr an still make 170pf. The Lyman 49th edition reloading manual shows way different minimum and maximum powder charges then the VV reloading website.

VV is ultraconservative with their reloading data.  As an example, I used to use N310 under a 200 for my bullseye load.  4.0gr was listed as max.  A commercial reloader was selling match ammo loaded with 4.5gr of N310.  Several people contacted VV and asked if that was safe.  VV said yes, it was.