Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
IHMSA15151

VR80 Summay after all the bells and whistles.

8 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

What dram were the Estate shells?

3 1/4 dram 7 1/2 shot.  The slugs were 1 1/8 oz 1200 f/s.

I removed the Hold Open Lever from the 2 mags and will try again "after" I add the Taccom Comp.

I was using the Light Load Piston.  The 1st 22 rounds throught the gun were 10 mixed #4 & #00 Buck, 5 Slugs, 10 Estate Shot loads and 2 more slugs.

The Slugs were the only ones not to function in the 1 good mag.  The 2nd mag had a dent in the feed lip and wouldn't feed anything.  Since straightened it out and it now hand feeds.

WIll be going out again after the TACCOM Comp is in and I get it on, probably Friday or Saturday.  Might even have some other Slugs in by then and some RIO 3 1/4 dram shot and maybe the Drum and 10 rd stick mags I ordered.

I know I need more rounds throught it, just always figured Slug Loads would be heavy enough to function.

20 hours ago, pskys2 said:

3 1/4 dram 7 1/2 shot.  The slugs were 1 1/8 oz 1200 f/s.

I removed the Hold Open Lever from the 2 mags and will try again "after" I add the Taccom Comp.

I was using the Light Load Piston.  The 1st 22 rounds throught the gun were 10 mixed #4 & #00 Buck, 5 Slugs, 10 Estate Shot loads and 2 more slugs.

The Slugs were the only ones not to function in the 1 good mag.  The 2nd mag had a dent in the feed lip and wouldn't feed anything.  Since straightened it out and it now hand feeds.

WIll be going out again after the TACCOM Comp is in and I get it on, probably Friday or Saturday.  Might even have some other Slugs in by then and some RIO 3 1/4 dram shot and maybe the Drum and 10 rd stick mags I ordered.

I know I need more rounds throught it, just always figured Slug Loads would be heavy enough to function.

Wow,

Heavy duty!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

Wow,

Heavy duty!

?Am I needing to lighten up?  I figured to start with what had worked in my 1100 and go down if the loads would function.

Especially with a new gun I'm more concerned with reliability.

I'd gone out with my 1100 and had some 3" magnums, now those hit hard!

Edited by pskys2

12 hours ago, pskys2 said:

?Am I needing to lighten up?  I figured to start with what had worked in my 1100 and go down if the loads would function.

Especially with a new gun I'm more concerned with reliability.

I'd gone out with my 1100 and had some 3" magnums, now those hit hard!

If using this gun for competition, the lower dram shells will give you faster follow-up shots.

They will also be easier on you and on the gun.

But I agree that sometimes a new gun needs heavier dram shells to break it in.

Then again, some guns need the heavier dram shells to be reliable.  You will find what the gun likes after breaking it in.

Good luck.