Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VR80 Summay after all the bells and whistles.

IHMSA15151

I was able to find a VR80 a couple of weeks ago and while I was awaiting shipment I started sorting through the 30+ pages in the Enos posts about the gun and researching online for all the options, mods and problems that have been associated with this shotgun. So I have finally settled on my configuration (at least for now) I thought I would list some things pro and con as to help anyone else making some decisions. The folks that posted in the earlier post were a great help, Thanks!

1) The shotgun: Overall I am very pleased with it for the price. Mine was $599 before tax. You do have to break it in and it took about 80 rds of highbase 6's and some 3" magnums. After that it runs pretty much flawless with the 5 rd and 9 rd mags using the cheap bulk Federal from Walmart. I did take it apart and cleaned it a couple of times during break in and found some minor rough edges to smooth and oiled the bolt. I also rotated the right side safety lever 180 deg. because it ripped a hole in my index finger after the first 10 rds. of break in.

2) Mags: The 5 & 9 rd mags functioned fine right out of the box (after break in) but I still took them apart and deburred the follower a bit. They are showing wear signs on the paint in some areas so I will probably buff the paint down or off, to smooth things up a bit. One of the 9 rd ones I chopped the base plate off to hold 10. It runs fine like that also. I highly recommend getting the Amarok mag loader, it really makes things easy. I bought a 19 rd mag also and had a few issues with it not feeding well when it gets down to the last 5 or 6 shells. They were jamming into the top of the chamber. I thought it was a case of less spring pressure and allowing the shells to be at a steeper angle to the bore. I later noticed that some of my older shells were flat or almost flared out at the end. The newer boxes of the same brand has a better rolled edge and when I loaded those the jams were minimal. (see photo) More testing is needed with the 19 rd. None of my mags will drop free when empty. Not sure if the paint removal will help or just because they curve so much and are pretty light. Something to work on later.

3) Handguard: The handguard was a bit sharp up in the front so I put some rail covers on the sides. Helped a lot and I might add a hand stop to the bottom later. You do get a small amount of gas out the sides where the gas piston sits so getting your grip forward is helpful.

4) Buffer, tube & spring: I replaced the buffer tube with a mil-spec carbine one so I could use a carbine stock I had. The stock spacer ring doesn't fit a mil-spec tube so I used a Dremel tool and opened it up. I also ground off the sling tab. I installed a Taccom buffer with a cut carbine spring and it does reduce felt recoil. The issue with the Taccom buffer is that the secondary spring makes it difficult to pull the bolt back the last 1/2 inch or so needed to engage the bolt stop. Not a big issue but a pain in the butt if you need to lock the bolt back quickly.

5) Magwell: I got a RIA factory magwell and it is pretty nice. Looks good, mounted up easily and does help with getting those awkwardly large mags in the gun.

6) Muzzle break: I decided on the RIA small break. It came with the short lock ring that replaces the barrel shroud. I actually like the look better without the shroud. It does reduce felt recoil and I am thinking about taking out the Taccom buffer to see if the break works well enough and then not have the issue with locking the bolt back. Still a work in progress. The break did change the point of impact for the gun but didn't effect the actual pattern. It patterned the same with or without the break just more to the left, so I adjusted my dot. It does make it difficult to replace choke tubes but there are extended wrenches on the market that will work.

7) Trigger: So the trigger on these guns is HEAVY. Some folks are reporting 9-10 lb. or that their gauge doesn't go high enough. Mine actually breaks pretty clean without a lot of creep but is heavy. I have seen some improvement in mine with use, not a huge improvement but it is obviously wearing in some. I have a JP spring to try and there is always the option of a Tooth & Nail trigger but they are pricey and not in stock. I need to run a couple of matches with the JP spring first.

All in all it's been a fun build and gets me into a mag fed shotgun for a lot less money than the current offerings. The biggest question is how it will run in a match. So the next 3 Gun match should be interesting.

VR80.jpg

shells.JPG

Mine is set up pretty much the same except I am running the factory buffer and spring. I polished the trigger and changed the trigger spring and improved the trigger a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, toothandnail said:

Get the Tooth and Nail trigger, a 2.5# trigger makes a world of difference.

Has anyone actually seen or tested one of these unicorns? I did the "pre-order" thing. When it comes I'll add to the write up.

8 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

Has anyone actually seen or tested one of these unicorns? I did the "pre-order" thing. When it comes I'll add to the write up.

Im also waiting to see reviews 

20 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

We've installed about 15 ( changes every week) shipped out about 35-40 of the 4#

• 5 weeks later...

Is there a reason to change the buffer tube to milspec besides more stock options?? Or is this just for that and you had a stock already and wanted to use it? Will a standard commercial spec magpul fit on these like they come or does that require work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Op,

Thanks for the post.  If you have a moment, how, pray tell, on God’s green earth did you get the ambi Safety turned around?? I’ve stripped two allens, tried heat and stripped two more and that screw hasn’t budged.  Any assistance would be appreciated. 

14 hours ago, Oregonlaw76 said:

Op,

Thanks for the post.  If you have a moment, how, pray tell, on God’s green earth did you get the ambi Safety turned around?? I’ve stripped two allens, tried heat and stripped two more and that screw hasn’t budged.  Any assistance would be appreciated. 

Dremel cut off wheel across screw head, then use screwdriver.

On 6/30/2019 at 2:01 PM, mattmann said:

Is there a reason to change the buffer tube to milspec besides more stock options?? Or is this just for that and you had a stock already and wanted to use it? Will a standard commercial spec magpul fit on these like they come or does that require work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did it because I already had a milspec stock I liked. Cheaper to get a new tube than a new stock.

93 notch (Mustang?, my son has a 89 Police Interceptor w/heavy engine mods))... See my post on mag mods... Pretty simple  & low cost.

Update.....Maybe a simple fix for the 19 rd. mags?....... I did remove the bolt hold open from both 19 rd. mags, they were much better. I did lightly sanded/polished the follower.I found that on both mags the followers became stuck in the upper part of the mags at the mid point of the 4 slots. i found about .006 difference in the internal measurements before the "slots" and after the "slots"...........Just enough for the follower to drag a bit in the slotted area, NOT before and Not after. (Bottom part of the mag was fine). I looked for a means to slightly expand this area, nothing seemed to be just right?.... HF to the rescue!!!... The 4 pry bar set ($11.99) worked. Insert one of the longer bars into an empty mag in the slotted area and twist. You can see the metal move but just a few .000's. I tried several spots in the slotted area... Now the follower drops in from the bottom and goes completely to the top of the mag...  A little crude but it was all i could find  at the time 

Edited by mike NM
spelling

• 3 weeks later...

Put a DPP on mine, the DOT (well Tri-dot?) when sighted in is right at the top of my vision.  I really have to choke down on it with my cheek.

I'm going to a Riser, anyone else have an issue?

Going with the Taccom Comp & Retainers.  And JP Springs on order too.

Everything else is stock, hopefully it won't take 500 rounds to really get reliable.

Rio low recoil Slugs didn't want to function though, but Estate  7 1/2 shot loads did?

On 8/11/2019 at 3:01 PM, pskys2 said:

Put a DPP on mine, the DOT (well Tri-dot?) when sighted in is right at the top of my vision.  I really have to choke down on it with my cheek.

I'm going to a Riser, anyone else have an issue?

Going with the Taccom Comp & Retainers.  And JP Springs on order too.

Everything else is stock, hopefully it won't take 500 rounds to really get reliable.

Rio low recoil Slugs didn't want to function though, but Estate  7 1/2 shot loads did?

What dram were the Estate shells?