Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Posts

I've done some decent searching and found some newer loads from Federal (Syntech) and also Atlanta Arms, etc, but what are the better "factory" available loads for USPSA limited major?  I simply don't have the time right now to dedicate to reloading but may begin again soon.  I'm looking for some good ammunition that will load and cycle well while meeting major power factor.  Using an STI Edge, tuned by Bill Dawson.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have shot  Winchester white box 165 gr in an Edge with total success. 174 pf. A little hot for my liking, but the Walmart price is hard to beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

atlanta arms reload .40 (regular, not their long) has been 100% perfect in my edge, no need to pay more for their new ammo, not that their reloads are cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you needed .40 major shorter than 1.180 they would make you what ever you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using the long ammo from ncshooters.com in my SVI.  I used to use Freedom Munitions, but this is softer and nicer shooting. Been reliable and they have "match" and normal loads. I use the normal loads and they've been fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like perhaps BCT isn't selling .40 anymore.  

 

Hard to tell without giving it a shot, but is the match ammo thats loaded a little longer generally more accurate/softer shooting?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They definitely still sell .40.  Let me reach out to them.  I will message you. 

 

The longer loaded .40 is for two reasons.  One is for more consistent chambering in 2011s and the other is to reduce pressure when trying to make major with hot powder.  BCT's match grade .40 is loaded with N320 and precision delta bullets.  They have a more cost effect option using blue bullets for practice type ammo.  I am reaching out to the owner now to see why .40 is not on the website and will get you pricing.  

 

My 2011's will run sami spec or long loaded.  They both run fine in mine.  There are plenty of 2011's though that start puking when fed rounds shorter than 1.180

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

last 40 major i shot that was't my own was precision delta. i'd also give orr tactical a shot as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 12:05 AM, Robertwil18 said:

I've done some decent searching and found some newer loads from Federal (Syntech) and also Atlanta Arms, etc, but what are the better "factory" available loads for USPSA limited major?  I simply don't have the time right now to dedicate to reloading but may begin again soon.  I'm looking for some good ammunition that will load and cycle well while meeting major power factor.  Using an STI Edge, tuned by Bill Dawson.  

Before I started reloading, I was using 180gr precision delta “long” loaded at 1.180 making 171 PF pretty consistently out of my 5” edge. .25 cents per round. Not terrible. Was really reliable, too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PD .40 Long ammo is what you’re looking for.  
The “MatchPacks” are pretty beat because the mini ammo cans are super handy. 

They’ve been making bullets and ammo for competitors for over 30 years.  They’ve got you covered.

 

https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/ammunition/performance-standard/40s-w-180gr-fmj-long-remanufactured-match-pack/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody makes better value FMJ or JHP bullets than Precision Delta.  Their remanufactured stuff also runs great, but it's loaded from mixed brass, which means you will need to case gauge or screen it somehow in order to make sure it doesn't have 10mm cases mixed in.  Really easy to find and pull out, but they obviously won't chamber if they somehow make it into one of your mags.  Buddy of mine had a .380 casing pop up in a batch of remanufactured 9mm ammo he bought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tanders said:

Nobody makes better value FMJ or JHP bullets than Precision Delta.  Their remanufactured stuff also runs great, but it's loaded from mixed brass, which means you will need to case gauge or screen it somehow in order to make sure it doesn't have 10mm cases mixed in.  Really easy to find and pull out, but they obviously won't chamber if they somehow make it into one of your mags.  Buddy of mine had a .380 casing pop up in a batch of remanufactured 9mm ammo he bought.

 

Due to the manufacturing, quality, and packaging processes, there’s almost zero chance of a 10mm case being loaded and packaged with PD .40 ammo. 

 

A 10mm case shouldn’t make it through the sorters, wouldn’t make it through the processors, would get caught on the .40 loading machines, and even if it DID make it past that point, it would get caught during inspection and packaging. 

 

I just say all that to say... no need to screen it. Load it up and go shooting!

:) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

 

Due to the manufacturing, quality, and packaging processes, there’s almost zero chance of a 10mm case being loaded and packaged with PD .40 ammo.

 

I would definitely have agreed with you were it not for the fact that I came across the previously mentioned .380 case just last weekend.  Maybe remanufactured .40 isn't susceptible to the same problem since 10mm cases are longer than .40 whereas .380 cases are shorter than 9mm... But I'd still check it if you're shooting it in a match.  Not saying don't shoot it (it works great and it's reasonably priced), just saying check it first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tanders said:

I would definitely have agreed with you were it not for the fact that I came across the previously mentioned .380 case just last weekend.  Maybe remanufactured .40 isn't susceptible to the same problem since 10mm cases are longer than .40 whereas .380 cases are shorter than 9mm... But I'd still check it if you're shooting it in a match.  Not saying don't shoot it (it works great and it's reasonably priced), just saying check it first.

 

A .380 case in 9mm ammo is a totally different animal. Was the .380 case found in PD ammo? It should still be an extremely rare occurrence. 

 

Checking ammo before matches is always a good practice. Definitely never hurts! 

But a 10mm case in .40 ammo isn’t something I’d worry about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

American Eagle 165's are pretty mild, I suspect they use same powder charge as they use for their 180's.  Other brands 165's are pretty harsh.
I shout these for 3 years when I couldnt load.  Shot 2 majors,,,chrono's 1010 fps in my stock 5" para 16/40 with a ton of rounds. Went to a fit new barrel and the next year did 1050 pf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

 

A .380 case in 9mm ammo is a totally different animal. Was the .380 case found in PD ammo? It should still be an extremely rare occurrence. 

 

Checking ammo before matches is always a good practice. Definitely never hurts! 

But a 10mm case in .40 ammo isn’t something I’d worry about. 

Yes, it was PD ammo, but I'm definitely not bad-mouthing the brand.  Are you affiliated with them?  I love their bullets and have had nothing but good results with them.  It just made me a little wary about reman ammo in general.  Really easy to check match ammo with one of those hundo case gauges, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tanders said:

Yes, it was PD ammo, but I'm definitely not bad-mouthing the brand.  Are you affiliated with them?  I love their bullets and have had nothing but good results with them.  It just made me a little wary about reman ammo in general.  Really easy to check match ammo with one of those hundo case gauges, though.

 

I am. 

Did you contact PD? I’d like to make sure we have record of it. Like I said, it’s very, very rare, so I’d like to make sure we look into how it made it through. 

 

I didn't take anything you said as badmouthing at all. 

 

I could actually make the case that properly processed reman ammo can be better quality than “new”.... but it sounds like you’ve had good luck with it, so I’ll leave it be. ;) 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine was using my case gauge to check his ammo (he's OCD like that) while we were at Area 1 last weekend when he found the .380 case.  I have no idea if he contacted you guys, but I'll be sure to mention to him that you're looking for more info about it.  To my knowledge, this is the first and only time he has seen this happen in the several thousand rounds he's bought from you guys.  No other ammo issues throughout the entire match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tanders said:

A friend of mine was using my case gauge to check his ammo (he's OCD like that) while we were at Area 1 last weekend when he found the .380 case.  I have no idea if he contacted you guys, but I'll be sure to mention to him that you're looking for more info about it.  To my knowledge, this is the first and only time he has seen this happen in the several thousand rounds he's bought from you guys.  No other ammo issues throughout the entire match.

 

I’m honestly not sure when the last time was we had a report of a .380 case was. Would have been at least several years ago. Definitely not something you’d find more than one of in a few thousand rounds. 

 

Glad and it ran well for him! Always feel free to contact us with any questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have shot a number of different brands but now use Georgia Arms,  on select weekends free shipping and no local tax,  seems softer than other loads , completely reliable and makes major

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...