Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited .40 Ammo

I've done some decent searching and found some newer loads from Federal (Syntech) and also Atlanta Arms, etc, but what are the better "factory" available loads for USPSA limited major?  I simply don't have the time right now to dedicate to reloading but may begin again soon.  I'm looking for some good ammunition that will load and cycle well while meeting major power factor.  Using an STI Edge, tuned by Bill Dawson.  

They definitely still sell .40.  Let me reach out to them.  I will message you. 

The longer loaded .40 is for two reasons.  One is for more consistent chambering in 2011s and the other is to reduce pressure when trying to make major with hot powder.  BCT's match grade .40 is loaded with N320 and precision delta bullets.  They have a more cost effect option using blue bullets for practice type ammo.  I am reaching out to the owner now to see why .40 is not on the website and will get you pricing.  

My 2011's will run sami spec or long loaded.  They both run fine in mine.  There are plenty of 2011's though that start puking when fed rounds shorter than 1.180

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 12:05 AM, Robertwil18 said:

I've done some decent searching and found some newer loads from Federal (Syntech) and also Atlanta Arms, etc, but what are the better "factory" available loads for USPSA limited major?  I simply don't have the time right now to dedicate to reloading but may begin again soon.  I'm looking for some good ammunition that will load and cycle well while meeting major power factor.  Using an STI Edge, tuned by Bill Dawson.  

Before I started reloading, I was using 180gr precision delta “long” loaded at 1.180 making 171 PF pretty consistently out of my 5” edge. .25 cents per round. Not terrible. Was really reliable, too

PD .40 Long ammo is what you’re looking for.  
The “MatchPacks” are pretty beat because the mini ammo cans are super handy. 

They’ve been making bullets and ammo for competitors for over 30 years.  They’ve got you covered.

https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/ammunition/performance-standard/40s-w-180gr-fmj-long-remanufactured-match-pack/

Nobody makes better value FMJ or JHP bullets than Precision Delta.  Their remanufactured stuff also runs great, but it's loaded from mixed brass, which means you will need to case gauge or screen it somehow in order to make sure it doesn't have 10mm cases mixed in.  Really easy to find and pull out, but they obviously won't chamber if they somehow make it into one of your mags.  Buddy of mine had a .380 casing pop up in a batch of remanufactured 9mm ammo he bought.

Just now, Tanders said:

Nobody makes better value FMJ or JHP bullets than Precision Delta.  Their remanufactured stuff also runs great, but it's loaded from mixed brass, which means you will need to case gauge or screen it somehow in order to make sure it doesn't have 10mm cases mixed in.  Really easy to find and pull out, but they obviously won't chamber if they somehow make it into one of your mags.  Buddy of mine had a .380 casing pop up in a batch of remanufactured 9mm ammo he bought.

Due to the manufacturing, quality, and packaging processes, there’s almost zero chance of a 10mm case being loaded and packaged with PD .40 ammo. 

A 10mm case shouldn’t make it through the sorters, wouldn’t make it through the processors, would get caught on the .40 loading machines, and even if it DID make it past that point, it would get caught during inspection and packaging. 

I just say all that to say... no need to screen it. Load it up and go shooting!

:) 

11 minutes ago, Ssanders224 said:

Due to the manufacturing, quality, and packaging processes, there’s almost zero chance of a 10mm case being loaded and packaged with PD .40 ammo.

I would definitely have agreed with you were it not for the fact that I came across the previously mentioned .380 case just last weekend.  Maybe remanufactured .40 isn't susceptible to the same problem since 10mm cases are longer than .40 whereas .380 cases are shorter than 9mm... But I'd still check it if you're shooting it in a match.  Not saying don't shoot it (it works great and it's reasonably priced), just saying check it first.

16 minutes ago, Tanders said:

I would definitely have agreed with you were it not for the fact that I came across the previously mentioned .380 case just last weekend.  Maybe remanufactured .40 isn't susceptible to the same problem since 10mm cases are longer than .40 whereas .380 cases are shorter than 9mm... But I'd still check it if you're shooting it in a match.  Not saying don't shoot it (it works great and it's reasonably priced), just saying check it first.

A .380 case in 9mm ammo is a totally different animal. Was the .380 case found in PD ammo? It should still be an extremely rare occurrence. 

Checking ammo before matches is always a good practice. Definitely never hurts! 

But a 10mm case in .40 ammo isn’t something I’d worry about. 

American Eagle 165's are pretty mild, I suspect they use same powder charge as they use for their 180's.  Other brands 165's are pretty harsh.
I shout these for 3 years when I couldnt load.  Shot 2 majors,,,chrono's 1010 fps in my stock 5" para 16/40 with a ton of rounds. Went to a fit new barrel and the next year did 1050 pf

1 hour ago, Ssanders224 said:

A .380 case in 9mm ammo is a totally different animal. Was the .380 case found in PD ammo? It should still be an extremely rare occurrence. 

Checking ammo before matches is always a good practice. Definitely never hurts! 

But a 10mm case in .40 ammo isn’t something I’d worry about. 

Yes, it was PD ammo, but I'm definitely not bad-mouthing the brand.  Are you affiliated with them?  I love their bullets and have had nothing but good results with them.  It just made me a little wary about reman ammo in general.  Really easy to check match ammo with one of those hundo case gauges, though.

5 minutes ago, Tanders said:

Yes, it was PD ammo, but I'm definitely not bad-mouthing the brand.  Are you affiliated with them?  I love their bullets and have had nothing but good results with them.  It just made me a little wary about reman ammo in general.  Really easy to check match ammo with one of those hundo case gauges, though.

I am. 

Did you contact PD? I’d like to make sure we have record of it. Like I said, it’s very, very rare, so I’d like to make sure we look into how it made it through. 

I didn't take anything you said as badmouthing at all. 

I could actually make the case that properly processed reman ammo can be better quality than “new”.... but it sounds like you’ve had good luck with it, so I’ll leave it be. ;) 🤣

A friend of mine was using my case gauge to check his ammo (he's OCD like that) while we were at Area 1 last weekend when he found the .380 case.  I have no idea if he contacted you guys, but I'll be sure to mention to him that you're looking for more info about it.  To my knowledge, this is the first and only time he has seen this happen in the several thousand rounds he's bought from you guys.  No other ammo issues throughout the entire match.

6 hours ago, Tanders said:

A friend of mine was using my case gauge to check his ammo (he's OCD like that) while we were at Area 1 last weekend when he found the .380 case.  I have no idea if he contacted you guys, but I'll be sure to mention to him that you're looking for more info about it.  To my knowledge, this is the first and only time he has seen this happen in the several thousand rounds he's bought from you guys.  No other ammo issues throughout the entire match.

I’m honestly not sure when the last time was we had a report of a .380 case was. Would have been at least several years ago. Definitely not something you’d find more than one of in a few thousand rounds. 

Glad and it ran well for him! Always feel free to contact us with any questions.