Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib loads during a match

tomv

3 minutes ago, 38supPat said:

There is always a distinct sound when a squib goes off, it’s never a click. The sound of the primer firing will give a funny pop. 

I learned last year that this is patently fake news. I had 3-4 squibs last year at MI Sectional that made absolutely no noise. Of course I didn’t know it at the time as NOBODY heard it. Not me or the 3-4 RO’s running me. Even when I got home I went to the range under a tin roof and could not hear a thing and that’s with muffs turned all the way up.  Near as I can tell I had some contamination issue or junk primers. I had loaded some S&B SPP. I will never use them again after comparing them to other primers out in the garage. Very very weak ignition.

So no, squibs don’t ALWAYS make noise. Typically they do, but not 100% of the time.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there’s enough energy to push the bullet into the barrel, there’s a noise. It may not be recognizable as a shot but there’s definitely something 

Sounds like you had some fizzy primers, that sucks. In my open gun I won’t run anything but Federal unless there’s a real shortage and then I might go Winchester.

1 hour ago, 38supPat said:

If there’s enough energy to push the bullet into the barrel, there’s a noise. It may not be recognizable as a shot but there’s definitely something 

Sounds like you had some fizzy primers, that sucks. In my open gun I won’t run anything but Federal unless there’s a real shortage and then I might go Winchester.

Just a click of the hammer falling. Bullet was barely into the lands and when racking Powder came out and bullet could be dug out without rodding . Me and several other people assumed the rounds were too long and yanking the bullet out since it was hard to rack out. 
  Finally at my home range I still thought the same thing until I actually had a hang fire. Click then half a second and bang. That’s when I realized they were squibs.

I went out in the garage and shot primed cases to verify. Fed SRP, CCI SPP both shot flame out the comp and muzzle. S&B just a very weak pop and nothing out of the end. 

FWIW, electronic ears often make squibs sound very similar to actual shots as well.

A source of squibs on a Dillon is the powder measure bellcrank cube (the little white square that connects the powder bar to the rest of the mech) can break, wear out or the bolts just get loose enough to pop free and not drop powder when the press cycles. Usually you'll hear a louder 'snapping' sound from the powder measure when this happens but not always.

4 hours ago, shred said:

FWIW, electronic ears often make squibs sound very similar to actual shots as well.

A source of squibs on a Dillon is the powder measure bellcrank cube (the little white square that connects the powder bar to the rest of the mech) can break, wear out or the bolts just get loose enough to pop free and not drop powder when the press cycles. Usually you'll hear a louder 'snapping' sound from the powder measure when this happens but not always.

And ambient sounds will block it as it’s not terribly loud. That’s why I suggest looking at an ejected casing anytime the pistol is racked during a course of fire, only takes a fraction of a second but good chance if it’s black there’s a squib.

• 2 weeks later...

After any odd shots, I feel it's important to physically check for obstructions. Not sure on the powder you're using, but h110 is horribly notorious for not igniting unless it's near compressed. I've heard of wet cases from wet tumbling leaving the case barely wet enough to contaminate the powder.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/3/2020 at 3:10 PM, 38supPat said:

And ambient sounds will block it as it’s not terribly loud. That’s why I suggest looking at an ejected casing anytime the pistol is racked during a course of fire, only takes a fraction of a second but good chance if it’s black there’s a squib.

I had a squib and there was absolutely no sound other than standard muted sound of the firing pin.   Bullet was fully out of the case and barely down the barrel.  I could not chamber another round.   If I get a click and no boom of any kind I check the barrel.

I had my 1st squib a few matches ago.  I didn't hear anything different, either did the RO.  I couldn't chamber another round....I had no idea it was a squib...the scorekeeper told me it probably was.  I still didn't believe it until I went to the safe table and saw it for myself.  I had to really wail on it to get it out.  
Luckily I had my gopro on and could review the footage....take a look if you wish.  You can hear the "pop" in the video, but in the heat of battle, I didn't hear it.

Edited by Malarky112

I have had 2 squibs.  Both during practice.  Both made a distinct sound that I will never forget and also indicated something was very wrong with the gun.  It was more like a fizzle, than a pop.  In both cases I stopped and unloaded the gun.  With the second squib the Practice RO did not notice anything was wrong.  I believed the gun chambered in both instances but I cannot remember.

3 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I have had 2 squibs.  Both during practice.  Both made a distinct sound that I will never forget and also indicated something was very wrong with the gun.  It was more like a fizzle, than a pop.  In both cases I stopped and unloaded the gun.  With the second squib the Practice RO did not notice anything was wrong.  I believed the gun chambered in both instances but I cannot remember.

i have had two "fizzle" load in my time...fortunately it was a sideway primers and the bullet never left the casing to get a squib.  

1 hour ago, gnappi said:

I don't have a 1050 but two 550's and a 450 but I have a powder checker on them all. Doesn't the 1050 have a powder check station? 

You have to give something up to get a powder check. Either the butler feeder, or use the double alpha 2 in 1 die on the last satiation, then move the bullet feeder 1 station counter clockwise on the tool head.  I watch every drop now.  I intend to get a camera so observing the drop is easier. 

Shooting a heavy 9mm revolver at a steel match Sunday I had a squib that I did not feel or hear. Thought it was a light strike, r.o. said he saw the bullet hit ballistic sand behind the target or else he would have stopped me, so I assume he heard something.

11 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

You have to give something up to get a powder check. Either the butler feeder, or use the double alpha 2 in 1 die on the last satiation, then move the bullet feeder 1 station counter clockwise on the tool head.  I watch every drop now.  I intend to get a camera so observing the drop is easier. 

Too bad I did not know that, since I've never had a Dillon with a case feeder I have nothing to miss, everything to gain 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

I had a squib recently at a match. Tried to clear it about 4 times before realizing what happened. Thankfully a round wouldn’t chamber behind it. In the head of the moment with lots of noise around it’s hard to think you have a squib instead of a light strike.

Loading on a 750 with powder check. No idea how it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 2:36 PM, Malarky112 said:

I had my 1st squib a few matches ago.  I didn't hear anything different, either did the RO.  I couldn't chamber another round....I had no idea it was a squib...the scorekeeper told me it probably was.  I still didn't believe it until I went to the safe table and saw it for myself.  I had to really wail on it to get it out.  
Luckily I had my gopro on and could review the footage....take a look if you wish.  You can hear the "pop" in the video, but in the heat of battle, I didn't hear it.

If it ever happens again squirt some lube down the bore from both ends to help with removal. Doesn’t matter what, just some sort of lube. I know it’s messy but it helps dissolve the crud from the squib partially burning. 

Not picking on you but did you happen to look at the round that you tried to chamber to see how far the bullet got pushed back into the case? Or if it did at all. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I had a squib on the last round of the last magazine I shot at practice today.

I was packing up, so I showed clear (for myself) prior to casing the gun and a soot-covered piece of brass came out. 

Bullet was 1/3 of the way down barrel and would have chambered another round. I might of had a ka-boom on the first round of first stage tomorrow. 

After I cleared I shot a 10 round group to make sure it was functioning. 

First squib. Hope it’s my last! 

19 hours ago, Paulie said:

I had a squib on the last round of the last magazine I shot at practice today.

I was packing up, so I showed clear (for myself) prior to casing the gun and a soot-covered piece of brass came out. 

Bullet was 1/3 of the way down barrel and would have chambered another round. I might of had a ka-boom on the first round of first stage tomorrow. 

After I cleared I shot a 10 round group to make sure it was functioning. 

First squib. Hope it’s my last! 

Nearly the same thing happened to me. Recoil and noise all seemed normal. Gun "cycled" enough to cock the hammer, but didn't eject the case. Gun went click. Racked out a soot-covered case. Almost carried on with a new magazine, before I decided to check the barrel just in case. Glad i did, bullet was also lodged 1/3 way down the barrel.

20 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Nearly the same thing happened to me. Recoil and noise all seemed normal. Gun "cycled" enough to cock the hammer, but didn't eject the case. Gun went click. Racked out a soot-covered case. Almost carried on with a new magazine, before I decided to check the barrel just in case. Glad i did, bullet was also lodged 1/3 way down the barrel.

Do you wet tumble like me? 

likely culprit?