Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Effect of Weak Recoil Spring?

RickT

My wife and I shoot SC with our 9mm 1911 Springers.  Normal springs 9 lb. recoil, 19 lb. main.  This has always worked with our very light loads for at least 75K rounds through each gun, not that the recoil springs are original, but they have seen a very high round count.   After a 6 month hiatus due to relocation to Idaho I've had a heck of a time recovering the sight picture for follow-up or next target shots, and I tried everything.  I've always thought to change the recoil spring based on the gun not cycling (failure to feed).  Out of frustration with my sight management I brought our two backup guns to the range, same springs and trigger, but very low mileage.

These two unused guns shoot like 22s.  I can only imagine that the weak recoil springs  in the high mileage guns really alter the recoil impulse dramatically.  I'll go on a regular spring change schedule, probably every 2 months would should be about 5K rounds.

I assume most who run a 1911 do periodic spring replacement.  I just feel incredibly dumb for having followed the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy.

My wife and I shoot SC with our 9mm 1911 Springers.  Normal springs 9 lb. recoil, 19 lb. main.  This has always worked with our very light loads for at least 75K rounds through each gun, not that the recoil springs are original, but they have seen a very high round count.   After a 6 month hiatus due to relocation to Idaho I've had a heck of a time recovering the sight picture for follow-up or next target shots, and I tried everything.  I've always thought to change the recoil spring based on the gun not cycling (failure to feed).  Out of frustration with my sight management I brought our two backup guns to the range, same springs and trigger, but very low mileage.

These two unused guns shoot like 22s.  I can only imagine that the weak recoil springs  in the high mileage guns really alter the recoil impulse dramatically.  I'll go on a regular spring change schedule, probably every 2 months would should be about 5K rounds.

I assume most who run a 1911 do periodic spring replacement.  I just feel incredibly dumb for having followed the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy.
I change springs every 6 months. Also got a 1911 spring tester from Brownells to see if the manufacturers have good quality control. Buy a 10 pack of variable springs from Wolff and that should last you a few years

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I keep a strict regiment of how many rounds I shoot in each of my competition 1911/2011 guns. I never go more than 3K rounds before changing springs. And on my 9mm 1911 with the 10lb spring, I find the lighter springs wear out faster than a heavier spring. So I change them around 1500-2,000 round count.

And if you're feeling the recoil that much, your springs are really worn out. Springs are a cheap enough to replace on a regular basis. Usually, if you shoot a lot, you'll notice you double taps will begin to spread out, before you really start feeling the increased recoil.

6 hours ago, tdp88 said:

I like the 10lb for 9mm and I change it out 10,000 rounds unless I have a problem. 

There's the rub with my approach.  The "problem" I was looking for was function, primarily failure to feed and the gradual increase in felt recoil attribute to bad habits (support hand) and, alas, age.

Change your springs like you’d change the oil in a car. I usually feel comfortable changing em after about 15k rounds. With springs being as cheap as they are, it’s worth it to prevent any issues you might have.