Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting "house" Designs?

Our club has a dedicated bay for a shooting house, but time/weather/bullets has taken it's toll. We haven't been able to use it this year, and I am proposing plans to the club for replacement. It is (was) contructed with 2x4's, 4x4's, plywood covered sides, and a door in the back.

Does anyone have a diagram or picture of their "house" prop? How about ideas for the best building material? I am thinking of using 2x4's for structure and the orange plastic construction mesh for sides (perhaps an additional covering of black visqueen to prevent transparency).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-Justin

That sounds a lot like the semi-permanent ones I have seen at ranges that can dedicate a bay. You have a good idea on construction, it's the actual layout that will determine it's true usefulness. Lotsa openings/doorways that can be covered/changed easily to alter the path through it. You do want the walls to be fairly stout in the hallways if you are gonna withstand large framed shooters bouncing off them as the bash their way through the stage ;-)

--

Regards,

Wow, I thought you were talking about our club.. we've got an old 'house' in one berm too that's been there for 10 years. We modify it occasionally, but it is getting on in years. My thought for a replacement was to plant a grid of 4x4 posts and have some sort of modular wall system where panels could be attached and detached from the posts without a lot of work. That requires being careful in COF design (and reiging in the weekday shooters) to not get the 4x4's shot up.

Shred,

One possible method is making the grid out of ‘sockets’ set in the ground for the 4x4 uprights to be inserted on match day. Biggest drawback is the sockets always get filled up with trash.

Another method would be making the uprights about 16 inches tall then using 4 inch PVC tubing slid over the 4x4s. Drill and tap the PVC for a 3/8 bolt to lock them in place. On match day set up only the required PVC uprights and clamp/strap the wall modules to them.

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.

I designed a shoot house for our club that is very flexible to course design changes. We used it for four consecutive matches. You can find the shoot house stages at:

Topton Action & Practical Shooters

Click on the results button, then scroll down to find the appropriate match and stage diagrams.

Nov. 2004 - Stage 6

Dec. 2004 - Stage 6

Jan. 2005 - Steage 9

Feb. 2005 - Stage 6

You are welcome to use it "as is" or modify it to suit your needs. The range this stage occupied was 45' wide and allowed shooting to both sides as well as down range. Hope you find this helpful.

Larry Eckert

TAPS Ast. Match Director

Good ideas guys... please keep them coming :)

LJE - I like the design, do you have approximate dimensions?

Thanks!

Justin

Justin, I will go through my archives and find my dimensioned drawings. I also have photos of the scale model of the stage. The originals are done in PowerPoint, but I can convert them to something else if you need. Send me an E-mail and I'll get the info to you.

Larry

If you don't want a roof, I suggext 2x3 frame 2-0 on center, cover with 1/4 Plywood, painted. Use sets of door hinges to pin the walls together. You can build a number of these panels with door frames installed. turn them left or right and flip them over as needed to change hand and swing. Setup and tear down is pretty easy.

Currently we are just using 8w x 6h stockade fence and we have door panels that we insert where needed. We can build as many rooms as we want in an hour and tear all down in less.

If however you want a roof for darkness, that gets more involved.

Jim Norman

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Paradox, You do not need to place 4x4s in the ground, or 2x4s to build a shoot house, room, or even a Hotel. Modular at any 90 degree direction, with,one person, set up time very fast. One tool! www.target-stands.com

What color would you like?, camo's popular.

crack%20house.jpg

Here is a stage diagram of our kill house at Norco. It's on it's own dedicated berm. It has pretty sturdy walls and doors. The whole house is decked out with old couches, cabinets, and furnitire.

The back walls as you can see in the diagram are open so you won't shoot them up.