Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange Brass Damage after Sizing Station

rougeqc21

Hey folks,

Have something of a mystery here... I am sizing on my Mark7 press with a redding Ti-Carbide sizer die. It is leaving these bizarre marks on random pieces of brass and I have not been able to deduce why. I am not decapping on the sizer so the central decapping stem is not present on the die. Checked the interior body of the sizing sleeve and it looks clean and mark free.

Ideas?

cpbyviK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem in my mark 7 with the Redding die (pin still in though).  Discovered I was slightly out of index. Cleaned up my index and had no problems in a short run after that,  and  have since moved to EGW U-Die.  It has not recurred so far,  but also not enough run yet to call it solved. I should have left the Redding in longer to verify it was the indexing and not the die swap,  but I didn’t.  I do suspect though it was the slight mis-indexing.  Mine was an under-index. When the guide-pin got  deep enough into the shell-plate indexing hole that it  was past the tapered point and at the full diameter of the guide-pin, it was slightly pulling the shell-plate ‘forward’.  The case damage was not constant.  Maybe 1 out of 100.  And seemed to mostly happen at higher speeds.