Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

super 1050 smearing primers????

Hope someone can help me! I have a super 1050 and it smears 2 to 3 primers out of every 100. Either they don't go in straight or they don't go in at all and the crushed primer falls out of the large hole at the front of the primer bar. I have called Dillon several times and all they say is it's my brass. I thought it was the CCI primers, but I ran a 100 Remingtons last night and had the same problem. ANY THOUGHTS???  thanks, JD 

Edited by JDIllon

Sounds like a brass problem to me too. What headstamp s are this happening with? The 1050 swages pockets so I’m guessing your swager is out of adjustment  and pockets still have a little crimp

Thanks Sarge, I will try to recheck my swage rod. Do you use a everglade primer hold down die?? It seems like it may help? Any thoughts. I was also considering a aftermarket shell plate? JD

Have you checked or replaced the tip on the primer magazine tube?  They get damaged easily, then things go down hill fast.  Keep plenty on hand.

Also, is the nut on the top of the primer magazine tight?  It should only just touch the inner magazine tube, any tighter and it can cause problems. 

Edited by GregJ

If all the stations are being used around the primer station, you don't need that primer hold down...primers should go in pretty easily. I've never seen the need for it.

Using mixed brass you may see the problem when some swaged pockets come into play.

Edited by RiggerJJ

Thank for all of the feedback, I am checking the cases. I reset the sage rod, also replaced the blue tube tip. Still had 2 out of 100. I tend to think that it is the brass. I will check the headstamp.  JD

JDillon, how many round/cycles do you have on your 1050?

Feel your pain. I just finished troubleshooting a similar problem. The timing of the primer slide and the primer slide arm assembly was the culprit.   In my case, with hundreds of thousands of rounds on the press, the Cam Guide Bolt 12486 had worn the metal down in the arm assembly channel (20488), Resulting in the slide not consistently being where it should be in the cycle, causing primers to not drop clean into the cup.  It was especially problematic with fast operation. I replaced that upper assembly completely and the problem is resolved.The cam guide bolt was also worn flat on a portion of its circumference and I replaced that too.And yes, to all of you who are ready to point it out to me, I lube that very generously and frequently. I just have 350,000 rounds on the press,  half of which were with a Mark7 auto drive.  Every problem is amplified with high volume and high speed.

Intermittent priming issues are very frustrating.  Once you have done all of the usual corrective measures such as cleaning everything well, ensuring the primer bushing is flush with the bottom of the channel, replacing your primer tube tip, made sure the tab that holds the case is snug, etc, without resolution, it’s then usually a “timing” problem.  When you pull the handle that primer slide  cycles back-and-forth picking up and then inserting a primer into the case. If the slide does not go where it supposed to smoothly, without friction, and precisely, intermittent priming issues occur because the primer does not drop clean from the tube into the cup (hole) in the slide. If the primer is canted it will get crushed twisted etc, and often jam up against the shellplate under that plastic tab. If intact primers are also occasionally falling out the front or back, it’s almost assuredly a primer slide timing issue.

Take everything apart and clean it and inspect all the metal parts for wear.  It’s rare but if you have metal scraping abnormally you can damage that slide.  I assume you have fully cleaned the press without resolution of the problem.  other causes can be malpositioning of the Primer Slide Stop 13108...That’s that half round metal bolt that stops the slide from flying out the back of the press. It needs to stop at a very specific point. Make sure it is screwed in all the way. Make sure the primer upper assembly actuating arm that moves the primer slide is not dragging on the bottom of the primer slide channel. It’s supposed to be contacting the slide at that brass bearing (rubber vacuum hose if you have an old unit and haven’t upgraded) but not extending below the bottom of the slide.  Also if you have an older unit with the vacuum hose in the slide, if it’s chewed up you should replace that. Better yet get the brass upgrade from Dillon.    Make sure that the primer arm assembly is moving back-and-forth straight and is not twisted on it’s mounting (that aluminum block with the tightening screw) to the primer tube feed body 20773, and that the primer tube feed body is screwed down flat onto the press. 

some people have found that the primer arm/slide does not come forward properly with cycling and have added a bungee or surgical tubing to pull the slide forward towards the shell plate, crisply. I had that problem but it to was resolved by replacing the entire assembly. I think the springs in my assembly were simply worn out.   That problem, is, however, more obvious because it typically causes the press to stop hard and painfully because the slide is not far enough forward for the alignment pin on the tool head to enter the proper hole in the slide which positions the primer precisely for insertion into the case.   The Pin instead slams into a solid part of the primer slide. 

And a slight mis-timing of the primer slide is very commonly going to cause just 1-2% problems.   Yes it could be the brass but that is fairly easy to rule out....

Hope this helps.

c

Edited by Clint007

• 1 month later...

Hi JDillon:

I had a similar problem and it was due to the primer punch - sugest you check the primer punch bushing, replace the primer punch spring, and check the primer punch for wear.

Grandpoobah in Scottsdale, AZ

Edited by Grandpoobah
Typo