Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Case tube

I just got a 650 without the case feeder. Hopefully I can save up and get that later.

For now, I'm looking for a longer case tube, the clear one. I've exhausted all of my sources and can't find any tube that size. If I had a piece about 3' long, it would hold more cases and I wouldn't have to load it as often. McMaster-Carr didn't have it and neither did any of my other plastic/acrylic suppliers.

It seems to be an odd size, .720 OD and .085 wall. I know that acrylic has huge tolerances in the manufacturing, but this is odd.

Thanks for your help!

I just got a 650 without the case feeder. Hopefully I can save up and get that later.

For now, I'm looking for a longer case tube, the clear one. I've exhausted all of my sources and can't find any tube that size. If I had a piece about 3' long, it would hold more cases and I wouldn't have to load it as often. McMaster-Carr didn't have it and neither did any of my other plastic/acrylic suppliers.

It seems to be an odd size, .720 OD and .085 wall. I know that acrylic has huge tolerances in the manufacturing, but this is odd.

Thanks for your help!

When I was in your situation I had a Lee 40 bullet feeder die with tubes. The tubes for 40 bullets held 9 cases fine. I drilled a hole in bottom of each tube and stuck a nail in there to hold the cases in place. I’d fill three and the Dillon tube before starting to load. It helped but the case feeder makes life much better

I have a solution! I found some .594 OD .018 wall 304 SS tubing. I bored the end of the case tube a couple of inches deep, to a snug fit on the SS tube. I can now use an extension any length I want. I have 10' of this tubing so I'm hooked up!

Thanks for your help! I'm quiet sure I'll need more in the future.

Edited by BigMoneyGrip

What I did before I got my first collator was to take some PVC pipe and drill a hole through the side on both ends.  On one end I put a bolt with a nut.  This is to keep the cases from falling out.  The other end I used a clip pin.  I'd fill the tubes, case mouth first, then put the pin in.'

'

When the feed tube needed to be filled I'd grab one of the pieces of PVC and put it on the feed tube and pull the pin.  You can use a coupler on the feed end of the PVC to make it easier.  It sits over the feed tube on the Dillon and there's no spilled brass.

I loaded this way for about six months.  Then I got my collator.  When I ordered my second 650 I ordered the case collator and all the other little bits that really make the Dillon shine.

I've been using this scheme for years. Always meant to get a case feeder but this works well enough that I never took the plunge.

I load up enough tubes to get a 500 round run.

Works for me.

Still going to get a case feeder someday.

Tubes from a place called TAP Plastics, Bellevue WA: TAP Plastics

But they have a number of other storefronts.

I think these are 5/8" OD x 1/2" ID; seems like that would be sloppy fit for 9mm but works just fine.

1jpg.jpg

2jpg.jpg

3jpg.jpg

Edited by ddc
additional info