Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major help me out here

dansedgli

I've read a bunch of threads on here about loading for 9 major using various JHP's at 1.165.

I was wondering if anyone had the length measurements of the 124gn bullets used to make these loads? I want to compare them to mine to give me an OAL using my bullets.

I don't have access to jacketed hollow points so will be using a copper plated or coated lead bullet which are hard to find data for. 

https://www.los.si//wp-content/uploads/2016/11/9-123HP.jpg

Thanks,
Dan

Edited by dansedgli

My 115 gr Hornady HAP JHPs measure .540" long.  Everglades 124 JHPs ar .585" long.

Loading long reduces pressure and allows the bullet to hit the feed ramp between halfway up and 3/4 of the way.  That is really the determining factor in choosing OAL.

Good plated bullets are fine.  I've used many thousand.  Coated lead bullets are not.  Even the best of them leaves a residue.  The worst lead up the comp.  With plated, make sure the plating is rated for 1500 fps.  Most are only rated for 1250 fps.

3 hours ago, dansedgli said:

I want to compare them to mine to give me an OAL using my bullets.

Dan, you can't determine the OAL of your bullets by measuring the bullet length.

If is only one of two components to be considered.

The shape of the bullet (where the bullet hits the chamber) that also matters.

You really need to run The Plunk Test on your bullets, in your gun.

The 1.165" OAL is usually for 2011's - but may not work in Glocks and EAA's.

Thanks guys, that's a big help. 

I realize that Jack but wanted to get an indication of where I had to be to get the case volume the same.

Let me know if this math is wrong. 

My plated bullets are .554, 123 gns.  

1.165 less .585 for EG 124's + .554 = 1.134

If I load my bullets to 1.134 then I should have the same case volume as a 124 everglades at 1.165.

I'll start at this length, if it plunks (and runs) I am golden. It also fits into my x5 which will be nice. 

It's for a 2011. I've used these bullets in my 38 super gun with good success. 9 major is rare here in Australia but I am sick of picking up brass. 

I'm pretty sure once i sell all my 38 super brass the new gun will be paid for. 

d, I don't see why you are hung up on a certain arbitrary case volume.  If you load your 123gr plated to 1.160" or a little more, you have more case volume, lower pressure, more powder and still enough of the bullet in the case for good retention.  All of those are desirable traits in 9mm major.  At 1.161" you are essentially loading a 9x21 case, so you can make major at or slightly above SAAMI limits with a slow powder like 3N38 or Major Pistol (Lovex 37.1).  Loading to 1.134" is going to dramatically increase pressure.

I don't think you will enjoy shooting 9mm major out of your x5.

No,  i like my fingers where they are.  

There is not a whole lot of bullet in the case at 1.16. I should get the gun tomorrow but good to know if i start at 1.134 and use loads found on here it shouldn't be too risky.  

I will load longer if I can. 

29.49mm is 1.16. 

SmartSelect_20190510-002640_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

No,  i like my fingers where they are.  

There is not a whole lot of bullet in the case at 1.16. I should get the gun tomorrow but good to know if i start at 1.134 and use loads found on here it shouldn't be too risky.  

I will load longer if I can. 

29.49mm is 1.16. 

SmartSelect_20190510-002640_Gallery.jpg

That’s plenty of Bullet in the case. You could go much longer if you wanted. 

1.17 is an easy fit in my chamber so trying to load to 1.16.

Getting some serious bullet setback when I push the round against a bench.

Both with the dillon die and the EGW die. Tried removing the backup die on the 1050 as it looked like it might be flaring the case too much. That didnt help.

Do you guy use a Mr bullet feeder powder dropper? Do I need to use a factory one so the case isn't flared so far down?

1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

Getting some serious bullet setback when I push the round against a bench.

Not easy to get bullet setback when loading 9mm Major, because the powder usually

fills the case.

What powder are you using ?

How much setback are you getting ?

If you were getting bullet setback with a Mr. Bulletfeeder expander you were belling the case and the seater and crimp dies were not tight enough to flatten it all back out.  You do not need flare with this expander.  If you insist on some, make it microscopic.   I use the MBF and have zero problems with setback.

25 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Not easy to get bullet setback when loading 9mm Major, because the powder usually

fills the case.

What powder are you using ?

How much setback are you getting ?

I was using empty cases to test for setback. I can only get autocomp down here. The powder we use for 38 super major is not dense enough to get enough powder in.

Living in Australia sucks sometimes.

Thanks ZZT, I will try readjusting tomorrow. I use a mark 7 and the dillon powder dropper has bullets tipping all over the joint.

It was heaps.

The bullets were going right back to where you could see either the backup die or the powder dropping die expanding the case.

1.161 to 1.135 ish.

Ive loaded my first 200 rounds now. 6.6 and 6.8 grains at 1.16

Hoping to test it out on Sunday but it's mothers day so not sure that will eventuate. :(

Wow, going from 1.16 to 1.135 is very significant.   

Is that with the powder in the cases ?

If that has powder, I'd be very cautious to fire one.

Definitely something wrong with your sizing die - it's not making the case small

enough (tight) to hold onto the bullet properly (not the "crimp").

I'd work out the problem before I did a lot of reloading and shooting.

I think it silly to rely on powder to mitigate bullet setback.  Unless you are using hard to compress powders like VV, you cannot count of the powder to resist.  I load Major Pistol powder to 1.161".  The load is not compressed.  A fellow poster asked me to test how compressible it was.  I loaded down to 1.126" and did not crimp.  The powder compressed nicely and the round did not grow.  Three months later the round is still 1.126".

IMO, saying your sizing die is the problem is incorrect. There is not a in-spec sizing die anywhere on the planet that does not size the neck down to below bullet diameter.  That's why we use EXPANDERS to widen the neck enough to get a bullet in.  Discounting weak , thin or split brass, most of the time the problem is with the bell, or seating the bullet crookedly.  That stretches the case.  A MBD Expander/fullen and a Lee FCD crimp die solves those problems not caused by bad brass.

In 40sw the Lee FCD completely eliminates the need for push trough sizing.  In 9mm it only corrects deficiencies in the top 3/8" of the case. 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Wow, going from 1.16 to 1.135 is very significant.   

Is that with the powder in the cases ?

If that has powder, I'd be very cautious to fire one.

Definitely something wrong with your sizing die - it's not making the case small

enough (tight) to hold onto the bullet properly (not the "crimp").

I'd work out the problem before I did a lot of reloading and shooting.

Nope, the setback was with no powder. 

Its the expanding that is the problem. Its expanding down to where regular bullets go so there is no tension between there and where my bullets end up. 

Ill try readjusting the mbf expander when i get time. 

Not sure what to do with the backup die. I'd like to keep it so I can swage but with it adjusted properly i can push bullets in past where i need them by hand. 

12 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Nope, the setback was with no powder. 

Its the expanding that is the problem. Its expanding down to where regular bullets go so there is no tension between there and where my bullets end up. 

Ill try readjusting the mbf expander when i get time. 

Not sure what to do with the backup die. I'd like to keep it so I can swage but with it adjusted properly i can push bullets in past where i need them by hand. 

My MBF funnel only expands the very top of the case and just enough that a bullet will not topple off when the press indexes.

2 hours ago, dansedgli said:

My first loads with 6.7 grains of autocomp make right on 160pf which is major but i need more margin than that so will bump it up to 7.0 i think.  

Pretty happy with groups at 25 and 50y. 

SmartSelect_20190515-065435_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20190515-065528_Gallery.jpg

I would bump until you hit 167 at least for cushion. Then test increase a little at a time and see if the gun flattens out more.