Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 or A01 LD?

Prange

Are you guys trying to get me divorced?

I was about to pull the trigger on a Shadow 2, then the A01 LD comes out.

Now my head hurts trying to decide.

Edited by Prange

Buy your wife what she wants first then buy both. If she complains, tell her the item you bought for her is more expensive than what you bought.

Works all the time lol 😂 

Edited by George16

On 5/7/2019 at 7:41 AM, George16 said:

Buy your wife what she wants first then buy both. If she complains, tell her the item you bought for her is more expensive than what you bought.

Works all the time lol 😂 

I'll get the short end on that. She wants a Jaguar F-Type convertible. 

Edited by Prange

On 5/7/2019 at 7:43 AM, rowdyb said:

The round trigger guard and safety kill it for me. I say Shadow 2. Or if you're set on a $2,000 gun, the Shadow 2 Orange.

I don't mind the trigger guard. I'm assuming I can change out the safety.

The forged frame/slide appeal to me. I just want the most accurate piece. The price is not a deal-breaker.

8 minutes ago, Prange said:

Oops, that’s not good. Then buy two 😆.

if that’s the case, my vote goes to the shadow 2. I got one and it’s very nice. Works flawlessly and haven’t let me down. 

I finally got my A01 on Thursday, and fired about 100 rounds on Friday.  So far, I think it is superior to my shadow 2 in just about every way...

My shadow 2 is a CZC custom, which means it has a trigger job w/ the short reset.  I also have the heavy brass SSI scales grips, which makes this gun a closer comparison to the A01 than a stock S2, but the differences are still apparent.

First, the grip...the A01 just fits me better.  I can't say what aspects (width, shape, etc.) make it better, it just is.  My S2 feels very natural in my hand, the A01 even more some.  Kind of like my S2 vs. my SP01 shadow...just 'better'.

While all three of my shadows have CZC triggers, the A01 feels the best, even though according to the test sheets, they are all basically the same (7 1/2 da, 3lb. SA with the short reset).  It's something about the motion of the A01 that just feels more precise.   A quick example is doing something like a dry fire wall drill...holding the front sight steady on the S2 takes quite a bit more effort than the A01.   I suppose this could also be an artifact of the grip or the weight...it's just better

Which brings us to the weight...it's heavy, and it feels even heavier than it is.  My s2 with the brass grips feels very balanced, while the A01 carries it's weight in the nose.  I thought this might be an issue when firing, as in the sights would dip excessively on recoil, but that isn't the case.  The sights come right back on target, as they do with my S2...perhaps even a bit faster.  With my 135gr 132ish PF reloads, recoil is basically not an issue with either gun, but it does seem to be less of an issue with the A01, which makes sense, given the weight and where it is.  One of the next things I intend to do is back to back bill drills, to see if avg. time or group is better with either gun, over a number of runs.

Accuracy at 12 and 25 yards is about the same, and is most likely limited by my abilities.  5 shots at 12 yards go less than 2 inches, and 5 shots stay in the USPSA headbox at 25 yards, fired free style (no rest), not rapid, but not slow either.   The 5 shots from the A01 were slightly lower than the 5 from the S2 at 25, and were all charlies (3 from the S2 were alphas).  One thing I think contributed to this is the fact that compared to the fiber in my S2 front sight,  the fiber in the A01 is HUGE, and appeared to cover the majority of the head.  It could also be luck, or any number of other variables.

So to the OP's question...which would I buy...

Well, I shoot USPSA production, and the A01 is not legal there yet, so I'd still choose the S2.  If the A01 were production legal (which is will be, at some point) or if I didn't care about shooting production,,and I could only have one, I would pick the A01 without question.  I bought my S2 from CZC, and in addition to the trigger work, it is coated in custom tungsten polycoat, which adds to the price but not the performance.  Combining this increased cost with the good deal I got from my gun guy on the A01, makes the money gap not so big between the two.  I've seen S2's sell in the 900's, and you could get the trigger stuff done for a couple hundred more, making the gap larger...but I'd still pick the A01.  I've only shot about 100 rounds through it, vs. probably 10-12k from my S2, so  there is still a lot to learn, and the S2 is still one heck of a gun...but at this point, I haven't found one thing that the S2 does 'better' than the A01.  It's also sort of cool to have a gun that started out as big blocks of steel, just a few miles from where I live, by some really good folks.

TobyJ

Hmm, I think the Shadow 2 is already quite nose heavy  in comparison to the Tactical Sport/TSO, which feels more balanced (though the Shadow 2 still shoots well). So, this is more nose heavy than the Shadow 2?

I think I read somewhere that it's heavier than the Shadow 2 also? I guess this is squarely aimed at production. Seems less versatile vs the S2 with the extra weight (no carry optics) & no rail.

I guess, at least currently, the A01 is not USPSA production approved if your intent was to compete with it in that division.

have you considered a Bull Shadow? Same great Bull Barrel dynamics with the opportunity to get it to Carry Optics specs.

the thing that I DONT like about the A01 is the P-series magazines. If you’ve already got a bunch of CZ75 mags, you’d need to get additional mags that aren’t compatible.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:19 AM, Prange said:

I had one.  They are awesome.   Do it.

• 2 months later...

I’d go with the A1. I was in a store and had the intention of buying the shadow 2. I saw the A1 next to it and had never heard of it. Once I held both of them, the A1 just felt that much better in my hand, so I bought it. Just a side note I also just bought the shadow 2 so I have both. Dollar for dollar the shadow 2 is a better deal. IMHO the A1 is definitely a better shooter.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a S2, and A01 ld and a SP01 Accu Shadow.  I like the grip on the A01 the best.  If just fits my hand well.  I have fairly large hands, though.  I have Lok grips with palm swells on all my guns.  If you have smaller hands, I'm not sure it's the way to go.  The A01 has the best single action trigger of any CZ I've ever shot.  Hands down.  But the S2 is a great gun.  I've shot one since they first came out.  They run, they are accurate, and the trigger can be tuned really nicely.  It comes down to money and intentions.  If you want shot USPSA production right now, then the S2.  The A01 should be made production legal, but no idea how long it will be.  If money is no object, and you want the best CZ you can get, and you have medium to large hands, the A01 is awesome. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, TobyJ said:

One thing I think contributed to this is the fact that compared to the fiber in my S2 front sight,  the fiber in the A01 is HUGE, and appeared to cover the majority of the head.  It could also be luck, or any number of other variables.

I changed my sight out for a .100 Dawson.  It made a big difference.

4 hours ago, Jason Krywicki said:

Which Dawson sight did you use for you .100" wide sight for your A01-LD? I don't see one listed under CZ sights on the Dawson's website.

It’s a .330 X . 075 X 65 degrees cut.  

• 6 months later...
On 5/12/2019 at 8:18 AM, Red_Dot said:

I guess, at least currently, the A01 is not USPSA production approved if your intent was to compete with it in that division.

have you considered a Bull Shadow? Same great Bull Barrel dynamics with the opportunity to get it to Carry Optics specs.

the thing that I DONT like about the A01 is the P-series magazines. If you’ve already got a bunch of CZ75 mags, you’d need to get additional mags that aren’t compatible.

CZ Custom has grip panels which allow the thinner CZ75 mags to be used and eliminates the possibility of damaging the mag release.