Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee undersize die


jpease
 Share

Recommended Posts

Don't wast your money.  Instead buy a Lee Factory Carbide Crimp die.  It will resize the case going down, taper crimp, and resize going up.  Glock bulge failure rate = 0%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Lee undersized die has nothing to do with bulged brass, it simply reduces the resized case diameter .002 to .003 more than a standard die.

 

With mixed range pickup brass that has been fired many times you are dealing with work hardened brass that springs back more after sizing. And this effects bullet grip on well used brass and the Lee undersized die compensates for the amount of brass spring back and retaining good bullet grip.

 

The Lee factory crimp die with the carbide ring in its base is a "cheat" for reloaders who do not trim their cases to a uniform length. Meaning the longer cases may bulge below the crimp and the carbide ring in the base of the Lee die will size  and reduce the bulge below the crimp.

 

And this same Lee factory crimp die is used with their bulge buster kit and the carbide ring will size the base of the case as it it pushed through the die.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bigedp51 said:

The Lee undersized die has nothing to do with bulged brass, it simply reduces the resized case diameter .002 to .003 more than a standard die.

 

With mixed range pickup brass that has been fired many times you are dealing with work hardened brass that springs back more after sizing. And this effects bullet grip on well used brass and the Lee undersized die compensates for the amount of brass spring back and retaining good bullet grip.

 

The Lee factory crimp die with the carbide ring in its base is a "cheat" for reloaders who do not trim their cases to a uniform length. Meaning the longer cases may bulge below the crimp and the carbide ring in the base of the Lee die will size  and reduce the bulge below the crimp.

 

And this same Lee factory crimp die is used with their bulge buster kit and the carbide ring will size the base of the case as it it pushed through the die.

Not accurate. EGW undersized die is trimmed to also size lower not just tighter. The bulge I think we are talking about is at the base of a fired case, not a bulge below a bullet? 9mm is not super prone to bulging when fired but on the occasion it does happen U Dies fix it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Not accurate. EGW undersized die is trimmed to also size lower not just tighter. The bulge I think we are talking about is at the base of a fired case, not a bulge below a bullet? 9mm is not super prone to bulging when fired but on the occasion it does happen U Dies fix it

 

 I said nothing about the EGW undersized die that is made by Lee and I have the Lee undersize die in .40 S&W, and stated that in my post. Both dies may size slightly further down the case "BUT" sizing the case does not function the same as using it as a bulge buster die. The bulge buster kit pushes the entire case through the carbide ring and sizes the case to the extractor groove. Meaning just because you have the EGW undersized die doesn't mean it will size the case like the bulge buster kit will and remove Glock bulge.

 

http://www.egwguns.com/smithing-tooling/undersize-reloading-die-.40-s-w/10mm/

Caliber: .40 S&W / 10mm
Brand: Lee Precision
Our Dies are maufactured by Lee Precision.


A must for the serious reloader: EGW offers custom designed, carbide sizing dies that are 0.003" smaller in diameter than typical dies. Not only is it smaller in diameter, the bottom corner is radiused which sizes the case further down. This helps prevent feed failures from cases that bulged near the base during reloading- which is typical of brass fired in Glocks and other loose chambered guns.

 

All the EGW undersized die will do on a Glock bulged case is create a ridge where the die stops sizing. And the Lee factory crimp die used with the bulge buster kit has a larger diameter carbide ring and will not cause a ridge around the base of the case.

 

961-reloading-40s-w-glock-bulged-brass-i


 

Edited by bigedp51
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bigedp51 said:

 

 I said nothing about the EGW undersized die that is made by Lee and I have the Lee undersize die in .40 S&W, and stated that in my post. Both dies may size slightly further down the case "BUT" sizing the case does not function the same as using it as a bulge buster die. The bulge buster kit pushes the entire case through the carbide ring and sizes the case to the extractor groove. Meaning just because you have the EGW undersized die doesn't mean it will size the case like the bulge buster kit will and remove Glock bulge.

 

http://www.egwguns.com/smithing-tooling/undersize-reloading-die-.40-s-w/10mm/

Caliber: .40 S&W / 10mm
Brand: Lee Precision
Our Dies are maufactured by Lee Precision.


A must for the serious reloader: EGW offers custom designed, carbide sizing dies that are 0.003" smaller in diameter than typical dies. Not only is it smaller in diameter, the bottom corner is radiused which sizes the case further down. This helps prevent feed failures from cases that bulged near the base during reloading- which is typical of brass fired in Glocks and other loose chambered guns.

 

All the EGW undersized die will do on a Glock bulged case is create a ridge where the die stops sizing. And the Lee factory crimp die used with the bulge buster kit has a larger diameter carbide ring and will not cause a ridge around the base of the case.

 

961-reloading-40s-w-glock-bulged-brass-i


 

Lube prevents that for me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2019 at 5:39 PM, jpease said:

Has anyone used a Lee undersize sizing die? How do you like it? My chamber is a little tight and I was thinking of trying one.

Best investment ever made.  I rarely even case gauge anymore because I haven't had a round fail to chamber since installed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I only use the EGW U die for loading 115 gr bullets so as to get that wasp waist and prevent setback of those short slick bullets against the feed ramp.  Dillon sizer is adequate for 124 coated and any 147. 

 

I always use the Lee CFC die.  Some mixed brass is not sized by it, nearly all of the cases that are show the burnish mark near the head where the Dillon does not go.  Rarely see a mark over the bullet, even the long 147s.  

 

I don't get the ring shown above with any die combination I have.

 

I didn't think you could push 9mm P through the 9mm P CFC for ironing out the bulge, that the Makarov die was the one to use if you just must. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...