Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Posts

I know you break in AR15 barrels for maximum accuracy.    I don't expect that's needed for a PCC.   But I have a JP 9mm out for delivery to my FFL today and I want to make sure I don't mess it up.

Share this post


Link to post

Lots of people don’t bother. I was paranoid with my second JP since I bought it new and followed their video on YouTube for their super match barrel (AR15). I think it probably wasn’t necessary but both shoot great. It comes with barrel paste for the process.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Smitty79 said:

I know you break in AR15 barrels for maximum accuracy.    I don't expect that's needed for a PCC.   But I have a JP 9mm out for delivery to my FFL today and I want to make sure I don't mess it up.

This isn't official protocol so please take anything I say with a grain of salt. 

The last 4 barrels I have broken in by either slapping them on the night before a match where they were loaned out at to multiple shooters or slapping them on the night before practice where they were shot for 500+ rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2019 at 10:56 AM, Smitty79 said:

I know you break in AR15 barrels for maximum accuracy.    I don't expect that's needed for a PCC.   But I have a JP 9mm out for delivery to my FFL today and I want to make sure I don't mess it up.

Having worked with 1000 yard rifles for many years, I have found that if you are starting with a new stainless barrel, yes break it in a little. Shoot 5 or 10 rounds, scrub with a nylon brush, scrub with JB Bore paste, wash it out with disc brake cleaner, and fire again. The PCC barrels I have encountered are not lapped especially well inside. They can do with a little polishing to smooth out the lands at the end of the freebore.

 

If you are shooting a new chrome lined barrel (not chrome moly) then you don't need to break it in.

 

I am lucky in that I have a Hawkeye bore scope so I can view the interior of the barrel. Don't ever buy a Hawkeye because your rifle will never be clean again!

 

Eric

Edited by ericskennard

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, ericskennard said:

 if you are starting with a new stainless barrel, yes break it in a little. fire again. The PCC barrels I have encountered are not lapped especially well inside. They can do with a little polishing to smooth out the lands at the end of the freebore.

 

I called Lilja at one point to ask about some precision barrels.  He echo'd most of the above - a simple break-in routine at the beginning.

 

From there, though, he laughed and said "nothing goes down the bore but bullets".  He said he never cleans a barrel other than perhaps a wet patch from time to time.  Said he cringes when he sees people shoving copper brushes down the bore, "all they're doing is taking rounds off the life of the barrel".

 

$.02

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bgary said:

 

I called Lilja at one point to ask about some precision barrels.  He echo'd most of the above - a simple break-in routine at the beginning.

 

From there, though, he laughed and said "nothing goes down the bore but bullets".  He said he never cleans a barrel other than perhaps a wet patch from time to time.  Said he cringes when he sees people shoving copper brushes down the bore, "all they're doing is taking rounds off the life of the barrel".

 

$.02

 If that's true I definitely am doing something wrong. Copper brushes after every 500 rounds in my pistol is then also not a good idea??? Ok learned something then...

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

@Fasthenk65 no disrespect but you’re cleaning too often,  inspect for wear, oil it and let it eat. 

Edited by Bwillis

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Bwillis said:

@Fasthenk65 no disrespect but you’re cleaning too often,  inspect for wear, oil it and let it eat. 

tnx

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

tnx

 

You’re welcome

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...