Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
JGT

Carry optics build, Glock 45 vs 17 vs 34

In CO if you like a heavy guide rod the 34 extended guide rod from GlockStore adds like 3 oz of mass to the front of the gun.  

Even without a heavy guide rod - I still prefer the 34 - it's just smoother shooting (slightly).  Plus the longer barrel gives you more real estate for manipulations if you go in front of the ejection port.  

There isn't a huge difference but there's not a huge difference in cost either. 

I will say my gen 5 barrels are significantly better than my gen 4.  

On 1/2/2020 at 6:28 PM, Gaucho said:

I know this is an older thread but I am in this same boat now debating between the 17 and 34 MOS for CO. Curious now that it has been sometime if you are glad you went with the 17 or if you wish you would have gotten the 34 and why?

No regrets with the 17 at all. I just shoot it better than the G34 with red dot.  

I went with the 45MOS.  I feel like there is no reason for the longer sight radius with an optic.  I like the lower reciprocating mass.  

I went with a 17 over a 34 when I decided to "just try out" CO back in May 2019. Now that I'm having fun and committing to the division for 2020, I feel I need to have a back up/second gun. Since I went cheap the first time (Brownells slide and Holosun 507C), I'm wondering if I want to go 34 Gen 5 or mill a G17 or G34 slide I already have. Honestly, I like the 17 just fine - although I did bump up my powder charge 1/10th of a grain to make sure I left enough buffer to still make 130 PF. Any lower than that makes me nervous.

I'm going to be going through this exercise as soon as my range opens back up.  I've been shooting 17's, but picked up a Gen 5 34 on the cheap.  Am going to A/B it pretty hard vs the 17 over a month or so and make a decision from there....

35 minutes ago, tha1000 said:

I'm going to be going through this exercise as soon as my range opens back up.  I've been shooting 17's, but picked up a Gen 5 34 on the cheap.  Am going to A/B it pretty hard vs the 17 over a month or so and make a decision from there....

19 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Noted.  Pretty sure that's where I will wind up.

Went with the 17. Is there really any advantage to a 34 over a 17 in CO?

i even prefer the 17 in production.  out of the holster faster, points faster.  for CO it's even more of a slam dunk not needing the longer sight radius.