Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carbine LOP " what length is your buttstock"?

So I can see now that PCC has become an addiction for me. In an effort to reduce stage times I'm trying to practice shooting on the move,entering and exiting positions and utilizing weak shoulder firing when applicable. I know how I usually have my butt stock set for length of pull (LOP) when normally firing a rifle but I have been playing with shortening it up 1 to 2 inches to see what is most efficient with the close quarters maneuvering we do in a typical USPSA stage. Does anyone have any experienced input they would share regarding benefits or detriments they noticed with shorter vs longer lengths of pull? Thanks.

I've been wondering about that too. I like it long just because that's what I'm used to, plus I'm 6'5". But, it might be easier for maneuverability if it was a little shorter.

But then again, do you shoot better if you're more comfortable?

One instance where I find benefit having it shorter than how I would normally keep a regular AR rifle is when transitioning to weak shoulder for a deep lean. It's easier/quicker to get behind it. Keeping it shorter, I'm also seeing some advantage when I would move thru different positions and have  the buttstock ride up atop my shoulder when moving and then slide it back into its shooting position upon engagement.

I had been using mine at nearly full LOP on the minimalist stock. Today I tried it on one hole shorter and though it felt weird in dryfire it worked great. I had my best finish and classification so far (M). I'm going to leave it and see how it works for more events.

I keep my PCC stocks at the 2nd shortest notch. 

This allows me to move the gun closer to my centerline.  Rather than out on my shoulder this places the stock just below my chin.  I'm able to take a more squared off posture that encourages moving my upper body like a turret.  With the (minimal) recoil from the 9mm cartridge coming straight into my chest instead of out on the shoulder it reduces upper body torque.

Coming from many years of rifle shooting, centering the stock feels quite foreign.  I'm able to do it in practice and it seems to help.  Now I need to remember to do it in matches.

So I can see now that PCC has become an addiction for me. In an effort to reduce stage times I'm trying to practice shooting on the move,entering and exiting positions and utilizing weak shoulder firing when applicable. I know how I usually have my butt stock set for length of pull (LOP) when normally firing a rifle but I have been playing with shortening it up 1 to 2 inches to see what is most efficient with the close quarters maneuvering we do in a typical USPSA stage. Does anyone have any experienced input they would share regarding benefits or detriments they noticed with shorter vs longer lengths of pull? Thanks.

I find with short length of pull the rifle swims around or bounces around too much, which causes some wildly inaccurate or unpredictable follow up shots. Or getting it mounted is a little more difficult. I usually run mine almost all the way out.
With that being said most people know how to set up correct LOP, but to me it’s really shooter preference.
For stages where you’ve got a barricade right in your face it’s a little easier to decrease the lop especially if you have to shoot left side (without shooting lefty) you can just centerline the rifle. Or switch shoulders while still shooting with your right hand. I personally don’t feel comfortable doing this. I just switch hands and shoulders completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk